Eurotube 5150 Integrated Quad Question, JerryP help??

AlexWade

• Members

Ok so I've heard all the bad mojo about how the intergrated quad of kt88's and 6l6's will blow your amp if you just do it plug and play like Bob says and i would rather be safe than sorry so i won't use it plug and play, BUT... i was wondering would it be alright to use this quad if biased correctly? because I really love the punch and headroom KT-88's give, but i dont think a quad of kt-88's can fit in the back.

any help would be appreciated

• Members

I believe for KT88's and 6L6's you would need to do the dual bias circuit like Bob has on his 5150EX's, I dont think they are close enough within a bias range to do it on one alone. I spoke to Bob at length about this back when I had a 5150 and I wound up doing EL34L's and 6L6's and it sounded pretty good. It took some of the low midrange out and gave it more of a Marshall crunch to the amp

• Members

It's not just an issue with the bias. The main problem is the screen grid resistors will fail if you use KT88's. They must be changed. Then if yhou want all the KT88's have to offer you'll want the bias circuit modified to run them hotter. Putting KT88's in the 5150 and running them with the bias is like driving a Ferrari 10mph up the street for a newspaper, total waste of money.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

It's not just an issue with the bias. The main problem is the screen grid resistors will fail if you use KT88's. They must be changed. Then if yhou want all the KT88's have to offer you'll want the bias circuit modified to run them hotter. Putting KT88's in the 5150 and running them with the bias is like driving a Ferrari 10mph up the street for a newspaper, total waste of money.

Jerry

Very funny Jerry...I like your examle. And on a side note, as I'm sure Jerry can confirm...5150's SOUND BEST WITH 6L6 POWER TUBES!!!...THERE IS NO MYSTERY TO IT!!!

• Members

Originally posted by angelspade

Very funny Jerry...I like your examle. And on a side note, as I'm sure Jerry can confirm...5150's SOUND BEST WITH 6L6 POWER TUBES!!!...THERE IS NO MYSTERY TO IT!!!

6L6's sound best to me. I've tried the 5150 with EL34's in stock amps and they were horrible. EL34's in a modded 5150 don't sound too bad but I like 6L6's better. I've tried 6550's in a modded 5150 and didn't really care for them either.

Jerry

Archived