OT - Thinking of going back in the military...

Syrnett

• Members

Well, I was USAF Active Duty for 4.5 years from 6-91 to 12-95.... and here I am seriously thinking of getting back in with the Air National Guard.

Since there are no officer slots open for the time being (since I have my BS) and since I was enlisted before, the guy told me I could come right in as an E6 (TSgt) instead of the E4 (SrA) I was when I got out.

Anyone else done this or considered doing it for any branch?

-Erik

• Members
Originally posted by BadRonald

Do what your heart and mind tells you to do.

thats generally my rule fo thumb for life. :)

my main concern would be the time off required and how my work would react to that aspect.

ive missed the sense of military pride and my own sense of civic duty from being an active participant.

even though i am a gulf war vet and "paid my dues", i still have a hard time with the "its somebody elses responsibility now to protect my freedom" mindset...

lots to think about.

-Erik

• Members

Originally posted by Syrnett

Well, I was USAF Active Duty for 4.5 years from 6-91 to 12-95.... and here I am seriously thinking of getting back in with the Air National Guard.

Since there are no officer slots open for the time being (since I have my BS) and since I was enlisted before, the guy told me I could come right in as an E6 (TSgt) instead of the E4 (SrA) I was when I got out.

-Erik

I would wait until an officer's slot opened up but that is just me.

Good luck!

• Members

-Erik

As you know, I'm still in the Air Force (17 years now). If you need any help or have any questions let me know. As you know already since you have served before, military members are like family and we take care of our own. If you need anything, etc. let me know.

• Members

appreciate the comments all :)

RR - I assume AD?

with regards to the officer/enlisted thing... from what i understand, its much different in the national guard then in active duty... when an officer slot opens up, even the enlisted have an opportunity to "apply" for it.

considering my current credentials combined with being prior service active duty, i would have as much of a shot as anyone.

its just weird to me that you dont "test" for promotions... if all slots are filled above you, you need to wait for one to open up before moving up.

-Erik

• Members

If you are going to go into the military and you are qualified to become an officer it is a waste to not become an officer. Not everyone makes a good officer but you seem like you would.

I was in the Navy for 4 years from '76 to '80. I wouldn't have done it again without becoming an officer but chose to get out and go to school instead.

• Members

-Erik

What's your family situation? They're in it as much as you. I did 10 years in the AF, but there's no way I'd go back in these days. Too much uncertainty and way too volatile. You did your time. You can find that cameraderie in other places if you look for it and continue to serve your country in other ways. Try civil service or some other government related activity. If you want grunt work try the post office. I did that for 13 years and the feeling in there is very similar to military service. You can be a fellow comrade in misery.

• Members

Syrnett

A lot of people do not understand the feeling to want to join, or return to the military. It's just something inside of you.

I haven't even enlisted or signed up (yet), but it's something I want to do. I have so many things I want to accomplish, and that is on the list. I have been talking to a USAF recruiter here for the past 6 months, and will continue to till I feel it is the time to go.

Either way, my point is. This is no one elses decision, and no one else will know why or feel the way you do to want to rejoin.

So if you have that feeling.. and you don't go, will you regret it later?

- Ryan

• Members

I would go back in. I'm ex Army and really miss it. As far as your work goes, they can't fire you for doing your duty in the Guard. Everyone that I know who is in the Air Force likes it and will probably stay in until retirement. Regular jobs get boring and the extra money would also be nice. lots of opportunities in the service so I say do it.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Depends on what your definition of protecting your freedom is. I myself dont think protecting one's freedom includes bombing other countries halfway around the world but that's just the Canadian hippie in me talking.

Good point, I don't see many stories of terrorist bombing cities in Canada, Hi-jacking their planes and crashing them into buildings and making threats. Could happen.

***I think it's an great honor to support your country and doing it when you don't agree with the governments politics is ever a greater challenge. I wish him the best.***

Archived