Whoa... So the 68 Bassman 50 head I have had a couple months had a tube surprise...

ElectricMayhem

• Members

I bought the thing because it sounded great and was in great condition. When I checked the power tubes the labels were facing inward and I could just see a smidgen of the Mesa name. My assumption was that they were Mesa 6L6s.

Wrong. I purchased a set of Sylvania WGB 6L6s from KCAnos (because they sounded killer in a 65 bassman I used to have) and when i was going to do the swap I realized what was in there.

Now, I am assuming there is no way to just pop and play EL34s into a 6L6 head. I have put a few hours of playing on it the last month or so and it has had no issues whatsoever.

Should I assume it has been modded for EL34s? Should I bring it to my tech before throwing the 6L6s in there?

• Members

Hey!!

An amp that can run el34's will be able to take 6l6's, but you'll need to have him bias it because if the EL34's were properly biased, then the 6l6's will most likely run a little hot in there and will not last as long as you'd like them too.

Soooo, you kinda have to take it in.

• Members

Originally posted by jhall

I think EL-34's actually have a lower max dissapation than 6L6's.

Therefore under the same Plate Voltage conditions, The 6L6's would actually run very cold when Popped into an amp Biased for EL-34's.

Peace

Damn, I got served. :)

I still think I'm right, so I'm hoping someone comes along and sets us straight.

• Members

Originally posted by jhall

I think EL-34's actually have a lower max dissapation than 6L6's.

Therefore under the same Plate Voltage conditions, The 6L6's would actually run very cold when Popped into an amp Biased for EL-34's.

Peace

it's not just a matter of plate voltage and dissipation - 6L6s will need a different bias voltage to get the same idle current.

• Members

Originally posted by ElectricMayhem

So I can put the 6L6s back in there, but I will need to rebias, right?

yes you will need to rebias, and the bias reisistor may need to be changed back to stock if a different value was put in to run the EL34s. there may not be enough range on the bias pot to accomodate both tube types.

bear in mind, there could be other things that were changed as well.

Archived