Whats a good "clean" tube amp for $300-$500?

univox5138

• Members

Why the explicit need for a tube amp?

Not all SS amps have a harsh or brittle clean sound......a properly damped SS powersection will give a very nice sound to the cleans.

A tube amp that provides excellent cleans tends to be expensive.

Your best bet IMO is to check out the used gear market if you are working with a limited budget.

You should forget about the SS/tube thing and simply try out every amp you can find until you discover the right amp for your ears.

• Members
Originally posted by hal9000

Both the Mesa F-50 and Rivera R55-12 can be had for less then $800 used and have great clean channels. You might even find a use for the OD channels.
:)

how's the F-50's od channels?? does it give that classic mesa distortion?!?!?!:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by univox5138

how's the F-50's od channels?? does it give that classic mesa distortion?!?!?!
:cool:

The F-50 covers both classic and modern Mesa distortion and sounds awesome. Check out the reviews on the Mesa website such as http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/guitarist-F-50/Guitarist_f-50.htm I also have a range of clips of my Boogie in my signature. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Originally posted by Paragraph51

Why the explicit need for a tube amp?

Not all SS amps have a harsh or brittle clean sound......a properly damped SS powersection will give a very nice sound to the cleans.

A tube amp that provides excellent cleans tends to be expensive.

Your best bet IMO is to check out the used gear market if you are working with a limited budget.

You should forget about the SS/tube thing and simply try out every amp you can find until you discover the right amp for your ears.

one could check out the Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 60R, best ss cleans I've heard, rivals some tube amps

• Members

Don't buy a solid state amp!!! I just don't see how you can play any blues without a tube amp, unless your playing acoustic. Anyway, I think a Fender might work for you although in that price range you'd need to go used. I think their Hot Rod series sucks - I've owned them. Anyway, I'd consider something like a used Silvertone 1484 or used Fender Twin reverb.

• Members

Originally posted by JeffreyC

Don't buy a solid state amp!!! I just don't see how you can play any blues without a tube amp, unless your playing acoustic. Anyway, I think a Fender might work for you although in that price range you'd need to go used. I think their Hot Rod series sucks - I've owned them. Anyway, I'd consider something like a used Silvertone 1484 or used Fender Twin reverb.

I think some SS are good some bad, I like the Jazz Chorus 50 for its size and clean tone, but the distortion sucks. I use both tube and SS amps for everything I play, it kind of depends on the venue and my needs. I like tubes for stuff that is a bit dirty but for clean and some Jazz/Blues, I feel SS is better, who sez' blues has to be dirty all the time? For me both kinds of amps all seem to work, and using a pedal with FX and amp modeling even brings the two closer in tone. But I think for a good cheap tube amp in your price range check out the Peavey Classic 30 or maybe the new Valve King. Also the Blues Jr or the Blues Deluxe may wet you pants, if your into Fenders. I still like and use SF Fenders amps and for the price you can't go wrong.

• Members
Originally posted by dughaze

You don't need good overdrive for the music types you want to play that you listed...
:confused:

for blues and maybe some reggae stuff, you want something that's got atleast a little bit of drive to it; having more just for fun can be a good thing as well :)

the roland jc-120 is considered by many to be the king of clean SS amps, but it doesn't do much else

polytone makes some GREAT jazzy clean amps, but they're pretty much one trick ponies as well

• Members

fender bassman, fender twin rvb, fender deville, fender hot rod deluxe, maybe a few mesa boogies(definitly not the mark or rectifers), but some combo mesa boogie models have good cleans, fenders always have nice bright tight punchy hi-mid cleans,

Archived