Believe it or not my old 5150 cab sounds better than my mesa w/ my uber.

SG-DAWG

• Members

I always used my oversized mesa cab with my uber,and there was always something missing.Now i know it was the cab.I tried my 5150 cab with it today and it was way better.Tighter chunkier and less harsh..Hard to believe but true.

• Members

Originally posted by SG-DAWG

I always used my oversized mesa cab with my uber,and there was always something missing.Now i know it was the cab.I tried my 5150 cab with it today and it was way better.Tighter chunkier and less harsh..Hard to believe but true.

I can understand that. I am not a fan of 5150 cabs when matched with the 5150 heads, but I bet it would, in fact, be a better match with a Uber than the Mesa oversized cab. The Uber strikes me as a somewhat dark sounding amp and I think a Recto cab may emphasize this voicing even further. I always found the 5150 cabs to have a pronounced top end and "sizzle" that would probably compliment the Uber quite nicely. In fact I have always liked to match "bright" amplifiers that are based primarily in the upper mids with darker sounding cabinets, and vice-versa. That's why I love Mesa Recto cabs with my 5150 heads. However, I am not in love with them with my Mesa Rectifier amps. I always imagined a VHT cab would really suit a Recto head very nicely. Just my opinion.

• Members

I'm not suprised at all. Most 5150 cab bashers don't seem to have much experience with them. Its actually amazing for cleans as well.

-Joe

• Members
Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Uhhhhh so the 5150 cab doesn't fart out??
;)

They used to with anything but a Peavey head for me....
:confused:

Ive had that cab since 91' ,and ive used it with 5150s, triple rectos,etc and never had it fart out.maybe you had a blown speaker.

• Members

Ive had that cab since 91' ,and ive used it with 5150s, triple rectos,etc and never had it fart out.maybe you had a blown speaker.

I second that...probably as good as any cab I've owned and I've played them now for almost a decade. Recently bought a Mojave 4x12 with Gh30's which easily compares to the Bogner stuff and the 5150 cab hangs right there with it.

Archived