Triple XXX 2x12 combo questions...

doomsdaymachine

• Members

First off, did Peavey discontinue these? There's no info on their website. I just stumbled on to one at a good price, and I wanted the look up the weight...Gone - just the 40 watt, and EFX combos listed, as well as head, and cabinets.

How's the bottom end? Speakers? Access to tubes?? (Would change to EL34's immediately).

• Members

I have one of these...

Weight is close to 100 lbs (it heavy)

Bottom end is OK for an open back combo amp. An extension cab would definately help out with the bottom end.

Access to the tubes is fairly simple, just remove the metal gaurd from the rear and you are set.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have the 2x12. It is a bit on the heavy side, think at least 85lbs.

For thump, I'm not really sure since I've always run that into a cabinet, using the combo as a monitor and the cab for sound projection. As a monitor I thought it has crazy thump for an open back combo and coming out of either my Avatar 2x12, 4x12 (both loaded with Eminence V12s) or my G-Flex 2x12s the tone was always strong.

The tubes are easily reached, the 2x12 is just like the head, except the tubes are upside down as compared to where they are on the head. You'd really put EL34s in there? I think that the EL34 is a poor choice for the XXX, makes the Ultra channel sound like the crunch channel with 6L6s in and the crunch channel really honks with EL34s in it. I quality 6L6 allows the channels to sound unique AND still cut through the mix. YMMV

Derek

Archived