Vibrato tips needed and name your fav players!

cavemanic

• Members

I used to never really think about vibrato, I just did it. And what a horrible, unmusical vibrato it was indeed. These days, I treat it like its own lil technique I guess, and I pay attention to what I'm doing. Don't just fret the note and shake it around like you've got Parkinson's or something. Start slow, and do some nice controlled vibrato, really getting a good feel of what you're doing, and work from there. Try different vibratos for different styles/moods, i.e. don't just go for the big wide Michael Romeo style vibrato all the time, or whatever.

Also, not every note, or every note with some duration to it, has to have vibrato on it. Some times it works just leaving the note as it is, which also highlights more the times when you do use it. or maybe when you hold a long note, leave the vibrato off until towards the end of it.

Maybe try thinking of your favourite singers, and how they use vibrato in their phrasings.

• Members

Favorite Vibratos........

Lynch

Yngwie

Sykes

Trower

From this forum.......

Gainfreak

Kage

BillyBogner

Danyeo

SteveVHT

It is about muscle retention, when practicing scales stop halfway and at the end do a vibrato, use a slow wide sweep and keep the motion an easy movement. Do not get that fast nervous Kirt Hammet thing going. YOur vibrato speed should fit the speed of the solo, once you get in the habit of a nice wide sweep you can increase or decrease the speed.

imo a vibrato will make or break a solo.

• Members

I cant believe no one mentioned EVH or Demartini...

Of course

Sykes

Yngwie

Lynch

Morse

Zakk

Trower

SRV

Marino

As far as Practice/exercises for bends, Try this one.

Lets say that you are playing in Am Pentatonic(5th fret) go to the G string, 9th fret, and hit the note. Get the sound of it in your head. Then pick the G string 7th fret and bend it up until you match the pitch of the 9th fret. That will help you with your whole step bends. Do the same with half step bends.

Its all about setting a target note and reaching it with the bent note. Do it all over the neck on all the strings. When you get that down, learn to add vibrato to the bent note. That right there is the single most important thing to getting chicks:cool:

• Members

If you want some killer examples of different vibrato methods, get Robin Trowers Hot Licks video. Not only does he have some of the most killer vibrato around, he goes thru most of them and the techniques to achieve them on the video.

• Members

I have a pretty good excersize for ya to improve your vibrato

you'll need a metronome and a little bit of pateince.

You're just going to do a 1/2 step bend in time with the metronome. Start out at maybe 88 and bend up and down once per click. Then try doing it up and down per click. After doing this for about 5-10 min. When you go to play a solo without thinking about it, you'll notice it's easy as hell to bend and you'll have much more control!!

give it a try and be pateient, it sounds like {censored} but helps

• Members

Originally posted by Patrickjp

I have a pretty good excersize for ya to improve your vibrato

you'll need a metronome and a little bit of pateince.

You're just going to do a 1/2 step bend in time with the metronome. Start out at maybe 88 and bend up and down once per click. Then try doing it up and down per click. After doing this for about 5-10 min. When you go to play a solo without thinking about it, you'll notice it's easy as hell to bend and you'll have much more control!!

give it a try and be pateient, it sounds like {censored} but helps

Cool tip, thanks for sharing :D

Im going to try this as soon as i get back to my guitar!

Archived