are the bassman heads gaining in popularity?

Ray18

• Members

I think all Fender is gaining popularity. I remember when you couldn't sell a silverface Showman at a guitar show for 250$. Now they are getting 3 and 4 hundred.

Funny thing about the bassman market is that a bunch of guitarists have bumped it up. I mean, if you look at the schematics, these amps share NOTHING in common with bassmans of a few years before. Even bassmans made a couple of years apart have dramatically different circuits. Yet, guitarists see bassman and immediately assume some sort of great amp will be had.

I have no great love of the bassman (in any of its forms) as a guitar amp. It doesn't sound bad to me. But it just doesn't do it for me. But to each his own. However, the silverface bassman makes a hell of a great bass amp. On par with Ampegs. Quite a bit less mids than an Ampeg though.

That is just my 2 cents.

-Zach Omega

• Members

Originally posted by ZachOmega

I think all Fender is gaining popularity. I remember when you couldn't sell a silverface Showman at a guitar show for 250$. Now they are getting 3 and 4 hundred.

Funny thing about the bassman market is that a bunch of guitarists have bumped it up. I mean, if you look at the schematics, these amps share NOTHING in common with bassmans of a few years before. Even bassmans made a couple of years apart have dramatically different circuits. Yet, guitarists see bassman and immediately assume some sort of great amp will be had.

I have no great love of the bassman (in any of its forms) as a guitar amp. It doesn't sound bad to me. But it just doesn't do it for me. But to each his own. However, the silverface bassman makes a hell of a great bass amp. On par with Ampegs. Quite a bit less mids than an Ampeg though.

That is just my 2 cents.

-Zach Omega

Still, it's a handwired all-tube amp that can be had for a fraction of the price of a new one, and it's easily modded.

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

Still, it's a handwired all-tube amp that can be had for a fraction of the price of a new one, and it's easily modded.

I completely agree with you. Fender amps are built like tanks and are easily replaceable (although not always cheaply). This alone makes them a very roadworthy amp. The fact that they can be modded and customized so easily is another point in their favor with a lot of guys. However, it makes buying a used Fender a pain in the ass. I remember the first "vintage" Fender I bought before I really know anything. It was a 1964 Showman and this thing didn't have a single original part inside. I eventually unmodded it back completely to stock and even managed to get a VERY generous guy to swap me a universal Schumacher transformer that was in the Showman when I got it for a Twin Reverb output transformer.

I basically ended up with a Dual Showman instead of a standard showman which runs at 8 ohms. I liked the amp. I modded the normal channel just a tiny bit to have less of a thumpy bass. Then I sold it to a friend.

-Zach Omega

Archived