Jump to content

Line 6? yay or nay?


KlRK HAMMETT

Recommended Posts

  • Members

whats up with people saying line6 is too digital? im in a pickle atm...should i either get a line6 spider II hd head and cab or should i get the line6 dm4 and use it on my current crappy half stack? i rather go with the line6 half stack since it had distortion and effects models already on it...what do you guys think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A Line 6 modeller has alot of options. There is alot of room for it to sound like {censored}, and alot of room for it to sound great. In the wrong hands, it will sounds like {censored}. In the right hands, they can be incredibly convincing. That said, skip the Spider and get the HD 147. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by OverDriven

A Line 6 modeller has alot of options. There is alot of room for it to sound like {censored}, and alot of room for it to sound great. In the wrong hands, it will sounds like {censored}. In the right hands, they can be incredibly convincing.

 

 

This is so true! Holds true for any piece of gear. I've heard $3,000 amps sound like crap and I've heard $100 amps sound incredible! Same holds true for Line 6 gear. Done right you can't tell the difference!

 

Here's a track I played on and co-produced for the movie Mission: Impossible 2. See if you can tell what's real and what isn't...

 

http://download.instituteofnoise.com/mi2gspot.mp3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by AndyZ



This is so true! Holds true for any piece of gear. I've heard $3,000 amps sound like crap and I've heard $100 amps sound incredible! Same holds true for Line 6 gear. Done right you can't tell the difference!


Here's a track I played on and co-produced for the movie Mission: Impossible 2. See if you can tell what's real and what isn't...


 

 

okay, let me take that back then. i've heard some of the stuff i've had sound really good on tape, but even still, was kindof weak until it'd been eq'd furthur. i was speaking for live use - i find their gear to be consistantly both poor sounding, and unreliable. bedroom wankery, the pod works great for late nights. thats the only use mine sees, and sparingly at that. its just neat cause you can have stereo delays in your headphones...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Honeyspider



okay, let me take that back then. i've heard some of the stuff i've had sound really good on tape, but even still, was kindof weak until it'd been eq'd furthur. i was speaking for live use - i find their gear to be consistantly both poor sounding, and unreliable. bedroom wankery, the pod works great for late nights. thats the only use mine sees, and sparingly at that. its just neat cause you can have stereo delays in your headphones...

 

 

I gigged for 2 years with a Vetta HD, worked great night after night and consistently got kudos for my tone.

 

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

NAY!, I had a post that started lots a contraversy cuase i pretty much said about how i din't like how lines claims to copy other amps companies tones and claim and lie that their amps are better.

Maybe i works for some, but most experinced guitarists prefer the good old classic tube amps, because the medeling is basically a solid state with software that changes the power amp damping, eq, gain response, and crap to imitate that of a tube amp and they ussauly sound cool at bedroom volumes but when u turn it up for even a small gig, they sound {censored}ty and overcompress and chok just like a solid state.

A frienda mine, used to own a 300watt flextone, but it wasn;t loud enought when he turned gain and volume to max! 300 watts of modeling! not to say that it sounded like areally {censored}y solid state! he got a 50 watt tube amp and he only had to turn volume to 4 and he had well over enought volume, and sounded really crunchy and rich tonally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by wanky


A frienda mine, used to own a 300watt flextone, but it wasn;t loud enought when he turned gain and volume to max! 300 watts of modeling! not to say that it sounded like areally {censored}y solid state! he got a 50 watt tube amp and he only had to turn volume to 4 and he had well over enought volume, and sounded really crunchy and rich tonally.

 

 

You can never use the 300W as a reference because most people arent smart enough to use them with a 4 ohm cab like they are suppose to.

 

Most always seem to use a Marshall cab (16ohms), and in reality using it as a 75W amp....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

If u can;t afford a decent tube amp now u can, check out the peavey valve kings, 50 watt combo for 350$, 100watt 2x12 combo for,500$, good cleans and decent hi-gains. much better than any500watt modeler stack.

Just get an FX proccsor pluged into the loop of a tube amp, or pedals, i dont ever use any FX like i used to for maximum tonal integrity plus i want a simple loud crunchy rig, but it works perfectly fine the tone wont muddy at all if its set up properly, or get an separte bypass FX loop and then u have perfect tonal interigty and lots of FX u can add.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Stillremains1

I like Line 6's, the only thing i don't like is the price, they sound really nice.

Got my Vetta for $750 off Ebay. You can always find a smokin' deal there.:D

Originally posted by Shask



You can never use the 300W as a reference because most people arent smart enough to use them with a 4 ohm cab like they are suppose to.


Most always seem to use a Marshall cab (16ohms), and in reality using it as a 75W amp....

What's the problem there? I use an 8ohm Marshall steeo cab with my Vetta on half power (150w) and it's louder than {censored}. I can't turn the volume past 2 w/o blowing the paint off the walls.

Originally posted by Honeyspider



fair enough too, but i still think they sound like ass live... if you can hear them through the band live...

Well if you've never seen Nine Inch Nails, Meshuggah, Evanescence, Deftones, Lacuna Coil or Ministry in concert then I guess you could say that. I for one had no problems whatsoever hearing them (various Line6 amps and whatnot).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by KovachianOne


Well if you've never seen Nine Inch Nails, Evanescence, Deftones or Ministry in concert then I guess you could say that. I for one had no problems whatsoever hearing them (various Line6 amps and whatnot).

 

 

 

NIN has been running Digitech 2120s into the board since forever. Stephen Carpenter from the Deftones has a rig consisting of a Marshall JMP-1 for the pre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by wanky

NAY!, I had a post that started lots a contraversy cuase i pretty much said about how i din't like how lines claims to copy other amps companies tones and claim and lie that their amps are better.



huh???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by KovachianOne

What's the problem there? I use an 8ohm Marshall steeo cab with my Vetta on half power (150w) and it's louder than {censored}. I can't turn the volume past 2 w/o blowing the paint off the walls.


Well if you've never seen Nine Inch Nails, Meshuggah, Evanescence, Deftones, Lacuna Coil or Ministry in concert then I guess you could say that. I for one had no problems whatsoever hearing them (various Line6 amps and whatnot).




eeewwww, if you said nine inch nails, meshuggah, and deftones, i would've bought it - cause i've never seen them, but lacuna coil sounded like a prime example of the ass of which i speak :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by bullhead




NIN has been running Digitech 2120s into the board since forever. Stephen Carpenter from the Deftones has a rig consisting of a Marshall JMP-1 for the pre.

Very good. But you forgot to mention Trent's Vetta II and Stephen's POD XT Pro. And since no one believes me...

And I had a pic of Trent's live rig but I lost it dammit.http://www.line6.com/artists/238

From http://www.myspace.com/deftones
t404042121313009ll.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Most of the time now for club gigs around LA, I run a PODxt into 2 Atomic Amps. For 2 ported 1x12's they sound huge in stereo! More than you need for most clubs and it sounds great with the POD. I can get it sounding pretty darn close to what I throw down on tape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

ok...i was planning only to get the spiderHD just to record and practice with...i have a Guitar Research Half Stack (sam ash brand) that that is 60 watts and has 1 tube, which is an excellent amp which i will be using live. i also hook up my tubescreamer to the GR and i get an amzing lead tone out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...