Fender amps and Rivera, set me straight guys

AnomalyXT

• Members

Hi everyone, this is somethin that I've really wanted to know for sure for a long time but haven't gotten around to asking yet. What's the actual history of Paul Rivera's work at Fender? Which amps did he work on? Are the red knob Fenders really his products? Was he behind the Super Champ? I appreciate any info you guys can supply for this, as one of his amps may be my next purchase. Thanks in advance!

• Members

Originally posted by mateo150

I never knew that, cool, are there any really good Rivera brand amps that are similar to a deluxe reverb, super clean but can give really nice warm crunch as well?

pretty much any of them... they all have the same clean channel for the most part, which is very fender-flavored, and switchable between tweed/blackface.

• Members

Paul was at Fender from around 1980 to 1982...maybe 1983. Before that Paul was the amp tech at the now defunct Valley Arts Guitar store, the same store that bore that same name on their guitars. Back then Paul used to do many of those mods that became part of the redesign of the Fender line in that period. And probably many Fender amps that are blackface and silverface up to that period found in LA and done prior to 1980 where probably done by Paul. He was one of THE guys doing those mod for everyone in the biz. If you ever come across one, buy it! I've beenfriends of Paul since '77 when I was a kid and everyone of those amps I ever played had the mojo! I haven't played many of the amps from his era at Fender, but I bet they are as good as what he did back in the day. Definitely worth their weight!

• Members

thanks a lot for all the info guys, this helps a lot in understanding the history of some of their amps. the only question left is does anyone have a definitive answer on the red knob amps? are they at all related to rivera? I've heard info going both ways on the amps and I'm not sure what to believe. thanks guys!

• Members

I have a pair of Concert II amps. I got them cheap and consider them similar to twins. Loud and good clean but the drive channel isn't great. They are PTP wired though and there are some mods out there that are supposed to make the drive better (Torres, Jackson...)

I would like to get the caps replaced on them as they are getting old but can't find an amp tech in Miami.

Archived