H&K Tube 50 or Vox AD50VT?

blinz

• Members

Anybody ever played an H & K Tube 50? I have a Vox AD15VT I use at church every week and I like it. I sold my VibroChamp to get something bigger at home again and for occassional gigs (not playing out much right now on guitar, mostly just drums). I've been debating getting the 50 watt AD50VT (might even look at the AD60VT if I find one cheap), but I just saw the H & K Tube 50. The reviews sound good and it looks to be a very versatile amp that can cover alot of ground. One question I have, if youve played one, is this - how sensitive to guitar volume is the clean channel on mode B (crunch) - i.e. can I play that channel like my single channel Marshall and roll back on the guitar volume to get clean?

Any other thoughts on the H & K Tube 50?

And don't turn this into a modeler vs. tube argument. I own both and both have pros and cons. Just looking for more info on the H & K mostly.

• Members
Originally posted by blinz

Anybody ever played an H & K Tube 50? I have a Vox AD15VT I use at church every week and I like it. I sold my VibroChamp to get something bigger at home again and for occassional gigs (not playing out much right now on guitar, mostly just drums). I've been debating getting the 50 watt AD50VT (might even look at the AD60VT if I find one cheap), but I just saw the H & K Tube 50. The reviews sound good and it looks to be a very versatile amp that can cover alot of ground. One question I have, if youve played one, is this - how sensitive to guitar volume is the clean channel on mode B (crunch) - i.e. can I play that channel like my single channel Marshall and roll back on the guitar volume to get clean?

Any other thoughts on the H & K Tube 50?

And don't turn this into a modeler vs. tube argument. I own both and both have pros and cons. Just looking for more info on the H & K mostly.

The Vox is a great versatile amp and seems perfect for your situation. Actually,I would think that the 30 watt model would be more than adequate. If you need more than three main presets,then consider the AD60.

• Members
Originally posted by blinz

Thanks guys. Have any of you ever played the H & K? I own the Vox AD15VT so I am familiar with them. I agree, they sound great. Not quite the dynamics of a tube amp, though, but close.

I have an Edition Tube 20 but I've never seen the 50.

• Members

Originally posted by Robotechnology

I looked at the website to look for the layout of the H&K Tube 50 but, didn't see it. Is it discontinued?

I believe it is. The manual is on there under Resources...Downloads...Product Downloads. It's next to last on the list (listed as Legacy Product - Tube 50/100).

• Members

If you going with the Vox... you are right to pick the AD50VT as your starting point for an occasional gigging amp... a 30 won't hang with live drums. I looked at the website to look for the layout of the H&K Tube 50 but, didn't see it. Is it discontinued?

The 30 is pretty loud through a decent cab. I use mine as the second amp in a stereo setup through a vertical 2x12 slant cab with GT-75's.

• Members

Looks interesting... I liked AmpliFIRE's Triamp MK II so I would probably go for the HK over the Vox especially if you can get the stageboard as well. If it was just a typical Channel A/B amp then, I'd be singing a different tune.

Stageboard would be included. It does look like a pretty cool concept for an all tube amp.

The other thing I'm looking at is reliability. Some of the earlier Vox stuff seems to have had problems, but my AD15VT gets used 2-3 times per week and relatively high volumes and I haven't had a single issue with it.

For those of you who are discrediting the volume possible with the smaller Vox amps, you wouldn't believe how loud these can get. The drummer at our church is the loudest drummer I've ever played with and that little 15 competes with him very well. Keep in mind, that's with it up about 2/3 of the way and mic'd for front of house. I wouldn't play a huge stage with it where I would be moving around alot, but with it about 5 feet away pointed up at me, it can get unbearably loud. Regardless, I would get at least the 50 anyway because I want the 12" speaker.

I found a decent deal on a Vox AD60VT so if I went with a Vox, it would probably be that one.

Archived