Peavey 50/50 classic....who's got/had one?

17 Tubes

• Members

I have one. I like mine, it has been solid as a rock.

IMO anything you put in your signal chain is going to affect your tone some how, but this power amp definitely can color your tone...it has a presence and depth control that do work. To me it is a great bang for the buck power amp.

• Members

I have a 60/60, which has less features... (just in/out, some other line outs, isolated inputs). It's been serving me well. I wanna either trade it for the 50/50 with the other controls OR a 120/120 for loudness... (spam?)

Tonewise, it adds some real punch to your sound. I think the power amp sections in a lot of peavey amps are what drive a lot of the tone...and all the peavey amps i've played that are tube have a certain punchiness to them I love.

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyChains

Ah, maybe it is only the 60/60 and the 120/120 that have rear controls. It has been years ago a friend had one and I remember him bitching about it all the time.

Tell your friend that the best thing to do is crank the amp wide open...and use the preamp to control the volume. Almost all of them have an input/output control.

• Members

He got rid of it and I haven't seen him in over 2 years. It always bothered him so I have overlooked them ever since. I have thought a few times about building a rack so maybe I will take a look at them if I do.

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

Tell your friend that the best thing to do is crank the amp wide open...and use the preamp to control the volume. Almost all of them have an input/output control.

• Members

I had a fairly reliable source (amp tech) tell me they are very good amps. Decent tube sound and very reliable...as comapred to say...Marshall monobloc.

If that's all to fret over is the volume control placement, I'd be okay with it. Lots of poweramps have it in the back.

• Members

To give a broader review, I use mine with a Bass POD as well. The 100 watts mono are more than enough for jamming with the guys---with one of the guitarists using a Mesa F-50. I think any tube power amp will color your sound to some degree. I'm getting new tube for mine (JJ's) and expect even greater tone than I have right now. I'm impressed with it overall===regardless of the price.

• Members

I have the Rockmaster pre into the 50/50, sounds great. I use just one side of the 50/50 with half the tubes pulled (2 out of 8). Makes for 20 watts and gets really explosive sounding. It has a bass and treble, called something else, both very functional.

Bonuses; A flip of the bridging switch and it's 40 watts.

bad things; the fan just makes for more noise. Also, it doesn't overdrive into clipping, like most tube power amps. On 10, it just gets kind of obnoxious. With preamp distortion and a more conservative setting, it adds awesome dynamics with just the right amount of compression.

It was used in this clip with it's treble control all the way down for a more heavy blues type tone. Note the explosive nature of the carvin speaker...

Clip

Archived