an amp newbie buying a peavey 5150

EMG_king

• Members

hi i should be purchasing a 5150 (signature not block letter) and i need some advice. which cabs would make this thing roar, i've heard marshall 1960's are good and mesa cabs and is ther a way of making it sound good at low volumes?

don't go ripping the {censored} out of me because i dont know alot about amps and i'm just asking for your help.

thanks.

• Members

Mesa oversized or standard Rectifier cabs are my favorite, depending how you like your bottom end response. I also like the Marshall cabs yoyu mentioned. I personally would avoid the matching 5150 cabs, and probably VHT cabs. The 5150 is a "bright" sounding amplifier that pairs well with darker, warmer sounding 4 x 12 cabinets. Just my opinion.

• Members

I'll second that for the Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12! They are only 2x12's, but they rock harder and thump better than most 4x12's out there. I had 2 of them, but quickly found I can get by with just one and not really miss anything. It replaced my 5150 4x12 cab and I don't miss it a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by angelspade

Mesa oversized or standard Rectifier cabs are my favorite, depending how you like your bottom end response. I also like the Marshall cabs yoyu mentioned. I personally would avoid the matching 5150 cabs, and probably VHT cabs. The 5150 is a "bright" sounding amplifier that pairs well with darker, warmer sounding 4 x 12 cabinets. Just my opinion.

+1

The 5150 cabs are really bright sounding, which is a bad pair for the equally bright head.

Go with a Mesa oversized or like Jerry recommended, a Marshall 1950 with the 75s in em. I use the latter with much admiration myself.

• Members

I've used a Marshall 1960 with the 75 watters in them with my 5150 for a while now. I've always dug it but thought at time the highs were a little shrill. I recently ran it through an uberkab and fell in love. It warmed up the tone, made it more focused, tamed the highs a bit and just made my amp sound better. NEw 1960's go for about 700-750 now while the uberkab goes for about a grand. BEst thing is to try both yourself and see which you prefer. I hate 5150 cabs and never tried a recto. I'd say stick with Marshall, MEsa, or Bogner.

Archived