Noticeable tone difference in recessed vs non-recessed Floyds?

Chubtone

• Members

I am having a guitar custom built right now and I never specified on the order form whether I wanted a recessed or a non-recessed Floyd. I might still have time to specify.

My old Charvels Floyds were installed so the bridge rested on the body and I could only go down with the bar. They still seemed to have good resonance.

What do you guys think? I am mainly interested in having a Floyd AND having the best tone I can.

• Members

It is my opinion that there is not a noticible difference between flush mount and recessed, since both applications do not have the bridge screwed to the body and the only connections are through the posts and the claw holding the springs. An OFR has the best metal so I always stay with that.

That being said I would just go with what you like and how your palm feels.

• Members

Originally posted by mysticaxe

Do you break strings often? If so a recessed floyd will go way out of tune... Not that I break them often at all, but I'm afraid of dropping one mid tune and having the geetar go haywire...

I'm thinking about my next Custom Guitar, and concidering a Floyd also. The going out of tune, & maintanance thing is a much bigger concern to me than the Tone difference. Then again,..there's always the Tremel-No which should be shipping soon. And the Floyd Rose Speedloader that looks pretty neat. Both of those seam to pretty much take care of most of the common issues with Floating Trems.

http://www.tremolno.com/default.asp

http://www.floydrose.com/speedloader.html

• Members

if you have heavy right hand technique or do a lot of double-stop bends, you'll appreciate a flat-mounted one that's tightened against the body a little bit. if you need to pull up on the bar, then obviously you'll need it floating. the tone difference is negligible.

• Members

I'll go against the majority so far and say that there's a very noticable difference in tone to me. (I'll grant that I've never actually changed a non-recessed to a recessed trem which is the only way to really be sure.) In one case, the only contact between the bridge and the body is two posts. In the other, then entire steel bridge sits directly on the body and with the spring tension is about as tight as if it was screwed down. I really don't see how there couldn't be a tone difference.

In any event, I always think the floating ones seem a bit thin sounding. Maybe it's my technique when playing them because they definitely take a lighter touch with the right hand.

• Members

I think the wood of the guitar will make more of a difference than the tremolo. Hey Scott, i played Ralphs purple GMW for a few minutes then i grabbed his Wayne guitar. It was when i was trying out the mako on one of his 2x12. The difference in tone was easy to hear. I liked the way the Wayne sounded a lot more, the GMW was very bright compared to the Wayne. And both have recessed FLoyds.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

I think the wood of the guitar will make more of a difference than the tremolo. Hey Scott, i played Ralphs purple GMW for a few minutes then i grabbed his Wayne guitar. It was when i was trying out the mako on one of his 2x12. The difference in tone was easy to hear. I liked the way the Wayne sounded a lot more, the GMW was very bright compared to the Wayne. And both have recessed FLoyds.

Yup Different woods

The Wayne is alder and the GMW is swamp ash. Swamp ash is a brighter sounding wood not to mention that there is a maple top on the GMW's

That said, I purposely had the two guitars made of different woods because they yield different tones. The wayne can sound boaty on some amps whereas the GMW can sound bright.

As far as the recessing is concerned... al of my recessed floyd guitars have incredible action whereas my non recessed floyd loaded guitars cannot compete (you can sink the recessed floyds really low as long as you have a G&P done on your guitar)

I prefer recessed floyds and I dont hear much of a difference in tone between the 2 .

• Members

For years I played a Kramer pacer with a floating Floyd. Recently I ordered a GMW and asked Lee to make it a non-recessed Floyd thinking it would help add tone if the bridge was sitting tight on the body. He did and I couldn't stand the way it felt - I didn't need to do radical pulls up, but I had gotten used to being able to grab the bar and shake it both up and down a step or two ala Lynch and Demartini.

So I loosened the spring claw just enough to raise the bridge off of the body. Now it plays just like my old Kramer and I noticed no difference in tone at all.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

I hear ya, the difference between the Soloist and GMW are night and day. The Jackson has a smoother tone while the Maple GMW just cuts like a knife, both with JBs in the bridge. Night and day really and as weird as it sounds the Jackson is a more forgiving guitar to play tone wise.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Yup Different woods

The Wayne is alder and the GMW is swamp ash. Swamp ash is a brighter sounding wood not to mention that there is a maple top on the GMW's

That said, I purposely had the two guitars made of different woods because they yield different tones. The wayne can sound boaty on some amps whereas the GMW can sound bright.

As far as the recessing is concerned... al of my recessed floyd guitars have incredible action whereas my non recessed floyd loaded guitars cannot compete (you can sink the recessed floyds really low as long as you have a G&P done on your guitar)

I prefer recessed floyds and I dont hear much of a difference in tone between the 2 .

Recessed + GMW fret job + H setup = stupid low action :cool:

• Members

I don't think there is any noticable difference at all... It really comes down to wood....

And if you have a non routed floyd and the tremelo sits on the body tight, you need to have it set up properly. Even a non recessed floyd should not sit on the body and give you a little bit of upward pull for vibrato with the trem...

Steve

• Members

I believe there is improved resonance when the Floyd rests on the body. I also believe that using the original style wood screws instead of the inserts have better energy transfer.

I far, far prefer the feel of a floating floyd.

But there are many (slight) advantages of a resting one. Ability to use a D-Tuna, stays in tune when bending/breaking strings, and more energy transferred to the body.

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

I believe there is improved resonance when the Floyd rests on the body. I also believe that using the original style wood screws instead of the inserts have better energy transfer.

I far, far prefer the feel of a floating floyd.

But there are many (slight) advantages of a resting one. Ability to use a D-Tuna, stays in tune when bending/breaking strings, and more energy transferred to the body.

Squealie...what do you mean..."rests ON the body'?

IS this a 3rd kind of Floyd?

Recessed and nonrecessed Floyds do not rest on the body.

I know that some people block from inside the cavity, but I have never heard of one resting ON the body (the top?).

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Yes they can.

It's not the Floyd that's different it's the route and the neck angle.

It doesn't dig into the surface of the guitar?

I know when I change strings, the metal pieces in the back go right to the body. I put something under there to keep them from scratching it.

I am missing something here because I can't picture a Floyd resting on the surface of the top of the guitar.

PS...I forgot to tell you I *KNOW* there is only one FLoyd. I know recessed and non-recessed is a matter of how the guitar is constructed.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

It doesn't dig into the surface of the guitar?

I am missing something here because I can't picture a Floyd resting on the surface of the top of the guitar.

It does wear on the paint.

Doesn't bother me.

bodyneck.jpg

Archived