Jump to content

Thinking about selling my Mesa Mark IV


orourke

Recommended Posts

  • Members

I've just started toying with the idea of selling off this great amp. The clean channel on it is the best amp I've ever owned in the 30+ years I've been gigging. And I find the SimulClass and various power settings useful. But I'm not into the other channels, I prefer my Keeley modded distortion and overdrives to the overdrive and lead channels.

 

And the thing has too many knobs. I do NYC gigs where you have an hour to set-up do your gig and get the hell off the stage. So if I need to tweak anything on the fly it's a really pain with that amp, I can

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Honestly? A Genz Benz El Diablo is VERY easy to set up and doesn't require much tweeking at all to go from clean to bluesy to dirty to heavy. Some people don't like the fact that it isn't voiced like some classic amp they love but it's really nice and really easy to get useful tones. That's why I chose it over the MKIV when I bought it. I couldn't see trying to change from SRV to Pantera on it without a lot of tweeking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

check out the THD Flexi. single-channel simplicity and clean sounds to die for, but still has plenty of useful features and options and it looooooves pedals. they sell used for about the same as you could get for your mark iv... actually, lately mark ivs have been fetching a bit more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I came pretty close to buying the El Diablo when I was shopping for an amp a few years ago, but I found the above mentioned Mark IV used.

The El Diablo is still pretty big, I'm kind of leaning towards some kind of short head.

I also have a Reverend Hellhound 60/40 head that I use (most of the time in conjuction with the Mark IV - in a stereo rig). I'd love to find something around that size, but with better fidelity like the Mesa.

I should probably look at one of the early Mark series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by orourke

I came pretty close to buying the El Diablo when I was shopping for an amp a few years ago, but I found the above mentioned Mark IV used.


The El Diablo is still pretty big, I'm kind of leaning towards some kind of short head.


I also have a Reverend Hellhound 60/40 head that I use (most of the time in conjuction with the Mark IV - in a stereo rig). I'd love to find something around that size, but with better fidelity like the Mesa.


I should probably look at one of the early Mark series.

 

 

 

They make the Diablo in a 60w short head verison.

 

http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1400&sid=416&cid=91

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

You have a Mark IV combo don't you? That's heavier than a Marshall 4x12...

I'd say get the small head and a 1x12 for the weight issue but you are concerned with tweaking the knobs. Honestly, if you knock all the knobs out of position and I only get half of them back to where I had them the Mark IV will sound better than anything you will probably replace it with.

I carry a small mag lite in my kit not just for the amp but for any unforseen repairs I might need to make at a gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by dughaze

You have a Mark IV combo don't you? That's heavier than a Marshall 4x12...


I'd say get the small head and a 1x12 for the weight issue but you are concerned with tweaking the knobs. Honestly, if you knock all the knobs out of position and I only get half of them back to where I had them the Mark IV will sound better than anything you will probably replace it with.


I carry a small mag lite in my kit not just for the amp but for any unforseen repairs I might need to make at a gig.

 

 

No I have the head. Yeah, I know it's just a head, but it's pretty damn heavy for a head, when you consider I'm lugging that thing up and down staircases at places like the {censored} Cat lounge.

 

But you might be right about it sounding better than anything I would replace it with. Maybe I just ought to get my fat ass to the gym.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by orourke



No I have the head. Yeah, I know it's just a head, but it's pretty damn heavy for a head, when you consider I'm lugging that thing up and down staircases at places like the {censored} Cat lounge.


But you might be right about it sounding better than anything I would replace it with. Maybe I just ought to get my fat ass to the gym.

A fellow New Yawker!!!! I have the Head as well but its Racked with my pedals and what not. the whole thing is switched by a midi foot switch. I can use 1 or 2 2x12's with it and I have a cart that I use to lug it around and in and out of cabs. Thank God Im pretty big because it is definitely pretty friggin heavy

 

Keep the MKIv, youll regret selling it if you do

 

Kage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Potex

I have a Framus Dragon Head in perfect condition. Would you be interested in a trade? What condition and year is your MkIV?

Cheers

-Ben



but wont he have to get a new transformer due to the aussie/american voltages and vice versa


*I wish Mesa wasnt so gay with their prices down here :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by metalpoida



but wont he have to get a new transformer due to the aussie/american voltages and vice versa



*I wish Mesa wasnt so gay with their prices down here
:(



Doh!

Forgot about that.

Wanna buy a Framus Poida? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Potex



Doh!


Forgot about that.


Wanna buy a Framus Poida?
:)



Sure. I will send the payment of $4.55 immediately.

I will have one of my friends pick it up.

or

Send the amp to 55 Wuntong Lane Indonesia!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...