UFC Ultimate Fight Night...Whatcha Think??

PuppetOfMasters

• Members

I was suprised for the most part. Drew Ficket really squeaked out a win. I loved how at the end he was acting all badass. Dude got dominated the WHOLE fight and got a lucky knee and capitalized with a choke to beat Josh. But thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Im happy Chris Leben won. I didnt expect him to win via armbar though. I was expecting a TKO due to punches or a KO. Nice to see hes versed in submissions as well. Fabiano Scherner & Brandon Vera, two guys unknown to me until tonight, really put on a great fight, good knockout. And the shocker (to me) with Evan Tanner and David Loiseau. I was pulling for Evan, but David cut him and stopped the fight. God that guy throws some brutal elbows. I dont think Evan Tanner will be around too much longer.

And The Ultimate Fighter II tonight was good too. I'm still extremely disappointed Jorge lost. I wanted him to win it so bad. Hopefully my boy LUKE will come out and win it now! :cool::p.....Actually Josh Koscheck fought Luke Cummo, and said it was the toughest fight hes ever had. I think everyone is extremely underestimating that kid. I dunno whats with Randy Couture and his "manly" challenges. First they had to rip the other guys socks off, now they have to mud wrestle....Whats going on here? Seems like season one's challenges were much more "challenging". These are pretty stupid little games their doing. I was suprised when they first picked Keith Jardine and Mike Whitehead to fight. I was both anxious and disappointed when I head that. They're both the top heavyweights there, and I wanted to see them in the finale. But they changed it to Seth Petruzelli and Dan Christison. Seth pretty much dominated that fight and messed Dans face up pretty good. That spinning kick he did to the back of Dans head was awesome. But I dont know why he didnt charge him and capitalize on the kick. I smelled a TKO there for sure. I saw that Seth Petruzelli has actually beaten Dan Severen when I looked up his record on sherdog.com. Thats some bragging rights if you've beated Dan Severen. I'm anxious to see next weeks welterweight episode. I have a feeling that Sam Morgan is going to fight somebody, not sure who yet. So anyway, I'll shut up. What were your guys thoughts on the events tonight?

• Members

Spinning hook kick to teh back of his head you say? Don't see them so much...sucks that I missed most of it. although I caught the re-run of Forrests fight....that was interesting. He pretty much had a gameplan and won it out.....down to the ground, wear with strikes and the submission was just there.

Saw the last couple of Lebens fight too...never expected that but when an arm presents itself. (Winces in pain remembering what that's like from my training days and the shoulder op in only 7 days now :D)

• Members

Originally posted by JiroJan

whoa, very cool. its weird seeing someone from you neighbor hood on tv kicking ass...

any idea of when ufc 56 is?

November 19th.....UFC 56 is going to be killer. Its supposed to be (to my knowledge)

-Rich Franklin vs Nate Quarry for the Middleweight belt

-Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan for the Welterweight belt

-Georges St Pierre vs Sean Sherk

-Tim Sylvia vs Assuerio Silva

-Jeremy Horn vs Mike Van Arsdale

Stephan Bonnar was going to fight but he broke his hand...

• Members

Originally posted by dissonance

I don't like that Matt Hughes guy on UF2. Can't stand him. Rich Franklin seems cool though.

Matt Hughes is a great coach. Matt trains at the Miletich Camp which is intense, those guys go all day long. And Matt expects these guys to be UFC calibre. He expects a lot from his fighters and trains them hard. Which, IMO, makes a good coach. And like Matt said, he wont make them do anything he hasnt done or wont do himself.

• Members

Originally posted by PuppetOfMasters

November 19th.....UFC 56 is going to be killer. Its supposed to be (to my knowledge)

-Rich Franklin vs Nate Quarry for the Middleweight belt

-Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan for the Welterweight belt

-Georges St Pierre vs Sean Sherk

-Tim Sylvia vs Assuerio Silva

-Jeremy Horn vs Mike Van Arsdale

Stephan Bonnar was going to fight but he broke his hand...

whoa...Franklin v Quarry??

Franklin had better watch himself...from what I've seen of Quarry, that man was just SURGICAL in taking apart whoever he was facing. don't know about his ground game or his submission skills, but with his strikes, he's very accurate, very skilled, hits hard, and is VERY fast (though not like Belfort fast).

i think he probably would have won TUF1 if he hadn't been injured. would have come down to him and Sanchez. if it went to the ground, Sanchez wins...they stay up, Quarry annihilates him. Quarry would absolutely take Leben apart.

• Members

Matt Hughes is a great coach. Matt trains at the Miletich Camp which is intense, those guys go all day long. And Matt expects these guys to be UFC calibre. He expects a lot from his fighters and trains them hard. Which, IMO, makes a good coach. And like Matt said, he wont make them do anything he hasnt done or wont do himself.

Well he got that new welterweight guy Jason and all Matt does is talk {censored} about the guy. Saying he's not there mentally and doesn't have it. Jason then goes on to fight the green teams best welterweight and fights all 3 rounds with everything he has and pulls out a win. Matt still doesn't warm up to the guy and just sort of ignores him afterward. He even says that he wouldn't have cared if Jason had lost. Then later on Matt's forced to give up a welterweight and immediately picks Jason without any thought. I just thought that was pretty dick and that the guy earned some respect. I'm not a Matt fan.

• Members

Originally posted by Murdoch7621

Franklin had better watch himself...from what I've seen of Quarry, that man was just SURGICAL in taking apart whoever he was facing. don't know about his ground game or his submission skills, but with his strikes, he's very accurate, very skilled, hits hard, and is VERY fast (though not like Belfort fast).

i think he probably would have won TUF1 if he hadn't been injured. would have come down to him and Sanchez. if it went to the ground, Sanchez wins...they stay up, Quarry annihilates him. Quarry would absolutely take Leben apart.

I definatly cant wait to see that fight. Nate Quarry has some excellent hands and hes supposed to be well versed in submissions as well. They're both two very smart & calm fighters that love to strike. I think its going to be a brawl. I dont know who I want to win, because I love them both. So I'm gonna be happy and disappointed no matter what the turnout is. But if I had to choose, I think Rich will win.

• Members

Well he got that new welterweight guy Jason and all Matt does is talk {censored} about the guy. Saying he's not there mentally and doesn't have it. Jason then goes on to fight the green teams best welterweight and fights all 3 rounds with everything he has and pulls out a win. Matt still doesn't warm up to the guy and just sort of ignores him afterward. He even says that he wouldn't have cared if Jason had lost. Then later on Matt's forced to give up a welterweight and immediately picks Jason without any thought. I just thought that was pretty dick and that the guy earned some respect. I'm not a Matt fan.

I agree that some of the stuff Matt does/says is questionable. But I cant blame him for picking Von Flue....He was clearly their weakest link at the time. Technique wise, he does have the worse technique. I believe he got lucky against Jorge. Jorge was dominating him up until his knee started pooping out of place. Jorge could barely walk after the fight. And with Jason having stitches in his head, and being pretty banged up from the fight with Jorge, I think letting him go was the best choice. All his guys are healthy and ready, then you have Jason whos battered, bruised, and cut. Its kind of a given who you're going to let go.

• Members

I was suprised for the most part. Drew Ficket really squeaked out a win. I loved how at the end he was acting all badass. Dude got dominated the WHOLE fight and got a lucky knee and capitalized with a choke to beat Josh. But thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Im happy Chris Leben won. I didnt expect him to win via armbar though. I was expecting a TKO due to punches or a KO. Nice to see hes versed in submissions as well. Fabiano Scherner & Brandon Vera, two guys unknown to me until tonight, really put on a great fight, good knockout. And the shocker (to me) with Evan Tanner and David Loiseau. I was pulling for Evan, but David cut him and stopped the fight. God that guy throws some brutal elbows. I dont think Evan Tanner will be around too much longer.

And The Ultimate Fighter II tonight was good too. I'm still extremely disappointed Jorge lost. I wanted him to win it so bad. Hopefully my boy LUKE will come out and win it now!
:cool::p
.....Actually Josh Koscheck fought Luke Cummo, and said it was the toughest fight hes ever had. I think everyone is extremely underestimating that kid. I dunno whats with Randy Couture and his "manly" challenges. First they had to rip the other guys socks off, now they have to mud wrestle....Whats going on here? Seems like season one's challenges were much more "challenging". These are pretty stupid little games their doing. I was suprised when they first picked Keith Jardine and Mike Whitehead to fight. I was both anxious and disappointed when I head that. They're both the top heavyweights there, and I wanted to see them in the finale. But they changed it to Seth Petruzelli and Dan Christison. Seth pretty much dominated that fight and messed Dans face up pretty good. That spinning kick he did to the back of Dans head was awesome. But I dont know why he didnt charge him and capitalize on the kick. I smelled a TKO there for sure. I saw that Seth Petruzelli has actually beaten Dan Severen when I looked up his record on sherdog.com. Thats some bragging rights if you've beated Dan Severen. I'm anxious to see next weeks welterweight episode. I have a feeling that Sam Morgan is going to fight somebody, not sure who yet. So anyway, I'll shut up. What were your guys thoughts on the events tonight?

Yeah, I think I would have had just a good of a chance to nail Josh Koscheck with that knee. Seemed like a lucky hit to me . What was the fight that aired just before that I think where the dude just got straight kicked in the face and got knocked out? That was {censored}ing sick.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

Yeah, I think I would have had just a good of a chance to nail Josh Koscheck with that knee. Seemed like a lucky hit to me . What was the fight that aired just before that I think where the dude just got straight kicked in the face and got knocked out? That was {censored}ing sick.

I think you're talking about the Ultimate Knockouts that came on before the live event. It was Pete Williams and Mark Coleman. A knockout that will live in highlight reels in the UFC forever. Petey got mark square in the face and he went to sleep.

• Members

I agree that some of the stuff Matt does/says is questionable. But I cant blame him for picking Von Flue....He was clearly their weakest link at the time. Technique wise, he does have the worse technique. I believe he got lucky against Jorge. Jorge was dominating him up until his knee started pooping out of place. Jorge could barely walk after the fight. And with Jason having stitches in his head, and being pretty banged up from the fight with Jorge, I think letting him go was the best choice. All his guys are healthy and ready, then you have Jason whos battered, bruised, and cut. Its kind of a given who you're going to let go.

Yeah it was a good choice to let Jason go but as the new guy he just wanted some respect. Matt sitting there ignoring him while playing solitaire was just dick imo. I thought it was funny during that one challenge where Rich forfeited after Matt's team spent two hours doing those rotations. Matt didn't have a problem with his team trash talking nonstop during it but he got on that green team guy for showboating in the ring. I have no doubt that the guy's good but I'm not a fan of his personality on the show.

• Members

Yeah it was a good choice to let Jason go but as the new guy he just wanted some respect. Matt sitting there ignoring him while playing solitaire was just dick imo. I thought it was funny during that one challenge where Rich forfeited after Matt's team spent two hours doing those rotations. Matt didn't have a problem with his team trash talking nonstop during it but he got on that green team guy for showboating in the ring. I have no doubt that the guy's good but I'm not a fan of his personality on the show.

The only two guys Matt Hughes cares about on that team are Joe Stevenson (his best welterweight), and Mike Whitehead (his best heavyweight). I think to Matt its only a matter of time. Joe Stevenson is clearly going to win the welterweight division, its almost a given. But that was pretty {censored}ty how he just played cards and didnt give Jason any props for taking out Jorge.

• Members

Originally posted by Murdoch7621

Quarry is going to get schooled. His ground game is weak compared to Rich's and his striking isn't even close to Rich's. He will get TKO'd rd1 or he'll look like Evan Tanner did after 3rds before the beginning of rd 2!

• Members

Originally posted by ss454

Quarry is going to get schooled. His ground game is weak compared to Rich's and his striking isn't even close to Rich's. He will get TKO'd rd1 or he'll look like Evan Tanner did after 3rds before the beginning of rd 2!

You extremely underestimate Nate Quarry. It wont be an easy fight for either fighter. But I would say Rich has experience in his favor. But Nate is a man on a mission....Dont expect Rich to waltz thru this with a victory like its nothing.

• Members

You extremely underestimate Nate Quarry. It wont be an easy fight for either fighter. But I would say Rich has experience in his favor. But Nate is a man on a mission....Dont expect Rich to waltz thru this with a victory like its nothing.

If you think he's deserving of this fight you're overrating him grossly. I've seen some of his other fights so unless he's improved 100% he's not going to last long. Sell underestimated his punching power because he thought if Baroni couldn't KO him, nobody can and that's not how it works in MMA. He also didn't get KO'd he was stunned and the stoppage was BS IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by ss454

If you think he's deserving of this fight you're overrating him grossly. I've seen some of his other fights so unless he's improved 100% he's not going to last long. Sell underestimated his punching power because he thought if Baroni couldn't KO him, nobody can and that's not how it works in MMA. He also didn't get KO'd he was stunned and the stoppage was BS IMO.

I think that there are many Middleweights that are probably more deserving of a title shot....but thats not my call. But we'll see what Nate is made out of at UFC 56

• Members

Anyone getting UFC 55 this weekend? I've watched several over the years when I had free pay-per-view but never really enough to get to know many of the fighters like I have with boxing. Just wondering if you guys expect some good fights.

I buy every UFC event. I'd pay just to see Arloevski and Buentello alone.

• Members

I'm not getting it but it's not because it's a bad card...

Paul B is in for a bad night...Arlovski is going to take him apart and show how far he's come along. Arlovski's got a ground game, Paul has none...Arlovski's got much better boxing, Paul has some...Arlovski's going to send him screamming weeweewee all the way home.

Forrest better have his ground game on but Elvis is hit and miss when it comes to his performance. I'm picking Forrest by JD because I don't think he can finish Elvis and he might keep top position while Elvis works for a sub long enough to get the D.

Chael Sonnen is tough and he's fought Babalu before but there is speculation as to why the fight results aren't listed anywhere and I'm sure Babalu wants to clear that up. Chael is a solid wrestler but not nearly as solid as Wiuff and he got subbed pretty easily by Babalu...Babablu by sub unless he tries to punish Chael and then he might get KO'd.

Pete Sell was obviously robbed against Quarry. Not that he would have won but he certainly hadn't lost yet. This will tell if he deserved it or not and Riggs will let him know. I'm picking Sell because he's a tough SOB and put it on Baroni but if Riggs ends up in top position and doesn't fall into a triangle like he tends to do it could be lights out for Sell. Riggs has one of the toughest GnP styles out there. He goes for the KO from the guard...most guys try to punch enough to keep from getting stood up so they can get the JD.

Hallman...AHHHHH where to begin...he's tough and subbed Matt Hughes TWICE but he's got poor cardio and if he doesn't finish fast...he doesn't. Rivera put up a hell of a fight against The Crow and will probably take this one fairly easily after Hallman gasses.

I can't really predict anything on the other fights because I haven't seen any of those guys fight EXCEPT Gannon in the infamous underground "sapring" match. His chin is amazing...and he can throw some bombs...

Archived