Problem with my mesa amp at gig last night

paulelf

• Members

I was playing a gig last night using my mesa boogie rectoverb 50 combo, and it was sounding sweet for the majority of the gig, but at the end of the second to last song the power just dropped. The amp was still on and I could hear a very faint sound coming from it but something was deffinately up with it. I'm guessing it must have been a valve or somthing, I was driving the amp pretty hard for about an hour and just before it broke I was using my new moogerfooger ring modulator which I think produces quite a lot of gain, but I hadn't had a chance to really get the level quite right with it as I only got it on sunday. So I have a few questions if people could help me out- 1- does it sound like a valve has gone or could it be something else? 2- if it is a valve are they that hard to replace myself or would I be best getting it to a shop to repair it and 3- I use quite a lot of effects, would it be wise in future to use some kind of compressor/limiter in my set up or would it be irrelevent ( I really don't know a lot about compressors).

Sorry its a bit of a long one! thanks for your help though. :)

• Members

when my power tubes blew in my old dual rec, I noticed a loss in bass response and like a 30% loss in power... if this sounds sort of like your situation (which it does to me, but I'm no expert) then pay a visit to www.eurotubes.com and get ahold of some new tubes, you shouldn't have to rebias or anything, you just wiggle the old ones out, and the new ones in

• Members

For all of these tests, use a guitar cable that you are CERTAIN is OK. Plug straight into the amp. Turn the knob in the back for the FX loop to the minimum position.

1. If your guitar's pickups are active, check the battery. If the pickups are passive, try a different guitar (while it is unlikely the problem is the guitar, the object here is to eliminate all possibilities). Still not working?

2. Check the fuse. Theoretically you should have no output with a blown fuse but at least check it to confirm that is not the problem. Still not working?

3. Replace each poweramp tube and then each preamp tube one at a time, i.e. if there is no resumption of power with the new tube in, put the old tube back in and go to the next socket. If you go through all the tubes and you still have not remedied the problem, continue on.

4. Try a new speaker cable that you are CERTAIN is OK.

5. If that doesn't work, as a last resort try a different cabinet.

If none of this remedies the problem, you need to take the amp in for servicing.

Archived