Original 65 Deluxe reverb bright cap

Mikoo69

• Members

everyone suggests removing the bring cap off the volume contrl on the vibrato channel on Fender DRRIs.....i have an original 1965 deluxe reverb...do these have bright caps also?? do you recommend i remove it??? I have noticed that the vib chanbel 1 is brighter than the others, but i think i just got used to the brightness so i cant recognize if its "too bright"....but maybe the audience can.....should i remove it, if its even there at all?

P.S. I play a fender strat (62 reissue) and find that on the bridge pickup, it is usually too bright unless im playing with a full band, and even then its pretty bright

• Members

well if it can improve the sound, im not concerned with resale value...i seriosuly doubt i will be selling this amp in the future....

anyway, i also heard about a trem disconnect mod (i dont use it so it sounded interesting)....any opinions on that in addition to the bright cap??...i dont even know what it does for the amp, but i read about it soemwhere

• Members

Both schematics, the original and the reissue, have a 47pf bright cap on the volume control. Here's part of an article from Blue Guitar on the mod for the reissue.....

"The circuit board that all the pots are mounted to holds the 'bright cap' and a

few other goodies. The bright cap is designated C10 on the circuit board and it

is found between the #2 jack on the Vibrato channel and the volume control.

You can take it out (or disconnect 1 leg) but I prefer putting in a smaller value

like 43 pf or 39 pf. But what will really help this channel is changing the 'slope'

resistor, which is R18 and located around the treble pot. Change it from the

stock 100K to 82K (if it makes the amp too dark for your taste, try a 91K). That

will solve most of your problem."

You could just disconnect one side, or change values........You can always solder the original right back in.....it shouldn't diminish the value of your amp.

• Members

I didn't have a problem with the bright cap when running just guitar straight in to the vib channel. The problem I have is trying to run OD or distortion pedals in to that channel with the bright cap. It sounds shrill and thin to me. Removing the bright cap made mine much more pedal friendly. It's such a simple mod that I can't see why there would be a problem with leaving the cap and just resoldering the loose end if you decide to sell.

• Members

great im gonna ask him to do that...should i bring him instructions or a schematic, or should he know how to do it?

and what about the trem disconnect mod i heard someone mention...something about having an extra preamp tube?

• Members

If he can't find that cap on his own, I'm not sure I'd let him wrench on your vintage amp.

Why do you want to ditch the vib? If you don't use it, just....don't use it.

Also, I like the slope resistor mod that avwalker posted along with the bright cap instructions. Before that mod, I never had my treble above 3. Afterwards, that tone control is much more usable.

• Members

this is a description of the trem disconnect mod i found..

Tremolo Control Disconnect Modification: Allows you to turn your Tremolo circuit COMPLETELY off which results in a surprising increase in gain and TONE..

has anyone done this?

Archived