ebay experts..some help please..

shreder75

• Members

ok, first time seller here..might have an interested party..

I set the buy it now price and price for domestic shipping and all that..

I have an out of contenental us customer that's interested...

have a couple questions for you...

as payment menthods I put down money order or pay pal..I also noticed that when you receive money through pay pal, you get charged a percentage..I think something in this bracket would be about 3%....I've seen people say that they'll charge the extra percentage if the buyer wants to use pay pal..

now, say someone wins the auction or does buy it now...is there a way to add in that additional 3% in the ebay checkout? I'm just wondering how the process goes..I've been on the buying end but never the selling end..

thanks!

• Members

it's a violation of paypal and ebay policy to pass on the fees to the buyer. if it's a business doing it, it's also a violation of law.

gas stations aren't allowed to charge extra for credit cards anymore, like they used to years ago, because of the same laws.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

it's a violation of paypal and ebay policy to pass on the fees to the buyer. if it's a business doing it, it's also a violation of law.

gas stations aren't allowed to charge extra for credit cards anymore, like they used to years ago, because of the same laws.

this I didn't know..I see people mention it all the time on this very forum...interesting

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

this I didn't know..I see people mention it all the time on this very forum...interesting

if the guy is willing to pay 3% extra without complaining, they won't stop it from happening. but if he asks for that 3% back and complains to paypal, he'll get it back.

• Members

For me, the 3% is a little amount to pay for the convenience of getting the money fast. IMO, my auctions end much higher now that I accept PayPal. So, in essence, my auctions are bringing in more money even with the 3% fee being a part of the equation. Some people hate PayPal, but it's been good for me.

• Members

Between the fees eBay charge (mostly the final value fee) and the PayPal fee...selling stuff on eBay sucks but it's the only way to move stuff a lot of the time. I suppose that fee gets a very wide audience which will help sell something quickly have not managed to get to the point where it helps me get a higher price :-/

I sold a computer for $700, eBay fee = $26, Paypal fee = $28..I get $646 :-/

• Members

Originally posted by JKD

Between the fees eBay charge (mostly the final value fee) and the PayPal fee...selling stuff on eBay sucks but it's the only way to move stuff a lot of the time. I suppose that fee gets a very wide audience which will help sell something quickly have not managed to get to the point where it helps me get a higher price :-/

I sold a computer for $700, eBay fee = $26, Paypal fee = $28..I get $646 :-/

yeah, it bites..but it gets alot more exposure....

and hey, I posted it on like four different message boards...lol...at least I have people viewing...so we'll see

Archived