I am super pissed!

crwnedblasphemy

• Members

Okay....as some of you know I am moving to MN to be closer to my dad who had a stroke....

I applied at an apt...sent the application fee, and deposit....didn't hear from them so I went and applied somewhere else! Got approved.

Now, the other place just sends me a lease yesterday, cashed the deposit, and won't give it back!! That is right....I signed that once I was approved it was non-refundable! even though they never contacted me in 10 days after receiving my application....they don't call me, then use snail mail to send a lease out.

{censored}, I have enough stress worrying about my dad and trying to move across country so quickly and the lady was such a bitch! So I am out $375.....WEAK ASS {censored}!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by crwnedblasphemy

Okay....as some of you know I am moving to MN to be closer to my dad who had a stroke....

I applied at an apt...sent the application fee, and deposit....didn't hear from them so I went and applied somewhere else! Got approved.

Now, the other place just sends me a lease yesterday, cashed the deposit, and won't give it back!! That is right....I signed that once I was approved it was non-refundable! even though they never contacted me in 10 days after receiving my application....they don't call me, then use snail mail to send a lease out.

{censored}, I have enough stress worrying about my dad and trying to move across country so quickly and the lady was such a bitch! So I am out $375.....WEAK ASS {censored}!!!!
:mad:

You should go down there and punch her in the nose.
Referring to the "My wife got in a fight thread"!:D

• Members

Sorry to hear that, guess you won't be buying a new Peavey Valve King this month.

Who said you can't get your money back? them? or the law? What happens if they deny your application? do you loose the money then? I don't think so. That would be Illegal, the law has to protect you either way. Don't get scammed. I hope this helps. It may take some effort but, go get'em, I would. If nothing else it's worth a small claims court action.

• Members

Does the paperwork that you sent in explain that the deposit/application contains a non-refundable deposit? If not, I think you would be entitled to getting it back.

Secondly, in my state, lessors have to retain the "deposit" in an escrow account and must refund it when when the lessee moves out, unless there are violations of the lease agreement (such as the property being damaged, etc.)

Look into it. You may be able to get your money back. On the other hand, if they used the money to purchase some kind of credit check and have you checked out before extending the lease to you, you may be out of the money. Have another look at what you signed, because in a Court of Law, you'll be bound by your signature.

(Disclaimer--I'm only licensed in Louisiana. The laws may be different in your state. Seek the advice of a lawyer licensed in the state where you are moving.)

• Members

Yup....I did sign something that the deposit is non-refundable if accepted and it goes towards rent. True....I am kinda hurt that way....

The sad thing is that it was for Nov.1st, and they approved me Sept 26th apparently, but didn't let me even know that until Oct. 2nd. SO they basically can still rent it(they have a month) but got a free christmas gift basically....They won't prorate it for howmany days I have been approved until I rejected that.

You see I have never moved to a place that cashes a deposit slip until you actually sign a lease? I missed that in the fine print...my fault, but I think they left me hangin a bit when I needed a place! you know?

I hate renting!!!

• Members

Your a fool if you think by signing something illegal it will prevent you from getting your money back. You can't sigh your rights away, according to the law. What I mean is I think they are getting away with something that should be tested in a small claims court, in a case like this the renter or potential (you) almost always wins, I bet they've done this several times before, what I call a scam. Present your case like you did here and give it a try, they will be notified of the court case and may want to settle without going to court they know if they loose they will be stuck with court cost and may have some other actions taken against them, later if it's snown that what they are doing is illegal. Get Tough and you will get your money back. If I were there I'd help you through the system, because I hate cheaters and scammers.

• Members

Mcon....thanks bro!!! I just called the Attorny General and he asked me if I signed a lease...I said no. But i signed a application.
He asked if it said it was non-refundable on it....I said yes, but I hadn't heard from them and was trying to move across country so I had to find a place...

He was helpfull and gave me some numbers to call once I get there....and said I should take them to Consiliation Court. Anyway...that is where it stands now. So, it is not a closed deal. Thanks again man!!!! Rian

• Members

I tend to agree that you kinda brought it on yourself by not calling to make sure they did or did not receive and process your info. If I had deposited $375, I sure as hell would have called to ask.

If they gave you a stated (written) application approval period -- such as the 10 days you mentioned -- or the "non-refundability" of the deposit is based on approval of the application on their behalf and acceptance of the lease on your behalf, then it's extremely unreasonable that they refuse to refund your deposit. However, if they did not, then, objectively, it looks like you just decided to decline your apartment and thus, they get to keep your application fee and deposit.

Archived