Playing the drums is a very good workout!!

Big Hair

• Members

So, I got myself a set of electronic drums a couple of weeks ago. Previously I was {censored}, really {censored} at the drums. Now I am only mildly {censored} :) I can keep a better rhythm, do a few fills etc and keep better timing. 80s pop songs are ideal to play along to for beginners just to keep timing etc.

Anyway, I discovered that playing drums can be a good workout. I was playing some faster 80s baloney last night and discovered that if you whack hell out of them it can be pretty tiring. Must admit to feeling knackered after playing a few songs - my calf was killing from playing the bass drum.

So if you need a workout, can't be arsed joining a gym and those home weight kits just don't interest you.....get some electric drums - ideal! Oh and the missus doesn't kill you for making a racket too :cool:

• Members

I actually started out on drums when I was young...even took lessons but became bored with them. I'll occassionally jump on our drummer's kit...and you're right...it is a good workout.

We used to do a switch sometimes at shows. I'd get on drums, our singer would play my guitar, drummer would play bass and our bassist would sing...we'd do Fight For Your Right by the Beastie Boys...people used to get a kick out of it.

• Members

I bought my wife a drumset for her b-day this year and sometimes I'll sit down and play around with it. To call my playing {censored} would be an insult to {censored}, but it's still fun and a good workout indeed. :D

• Members

Originally posted by SkyhighRocks

I actually started out on drums when I was young...even took lessons but became bored with them. I'll occassionally jump on our drummer's kit...and you're right...it is a good workout.

We used to do a switch sometimes at shows. I'd get on drums, our singer would play my guitar, drummer would play bass and our bassist would sing...we'd do Fight For Your Right by the Beastie Boys...people used to get a kick out of it.

Thats a cool idea - reminds me of that time maiden did that on some Norwegian Tv show :)

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

I bought my wife a drumset for her b-day this year and sometimes I'll sit down and play around with it. To call my playing {censored} would be an insult to {censored}, but it's still fun and a good workout indeed.
:D

when I first set the kit up my wife took over it - I had to wait about 2 hours until it "was my turn" :) She said it is the only piece of musical gear I have evr bought that is decent :eek::(

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

Two words:

War Ensemble:)

+1,000

Dave Lombardo is like a human helicopter. him and neil peart almost got me into becoming a drummer but after seeing all that gear you got to move for gigs to practice and back...no thanks.;)

m/

• Members

I went from being a drummer @ 185, to being a guitarist @ 285.

After I stopped playing, about a year later, I started gaining weight, as my metabolism nose-dived.

I've thought many times about being a drummer again - as a guitarist, I know that drummers are rare in comparison, and decent ones even more-so, and 6 months of practice, and I would be right back into my grove and probably be back to 70% what I was - once my weight comes off, I'll probably be back to 80-90%.

hmm...

Maybe I'll get me a cheap kit...I just need to noiseproof my room...

• Members

Oh man that sounds like fun :D Ideally, I would like to have a house one day where I can soundproof a nice music room and have a full setup: PA, drums, bass and guitar amps, keyboards, and just have a lot of fun playing music with friends and family. I can't play drums that well, but an electronic kit could definitely help that while I'm still doing the apartment thing ;):D

• Members

I tell you guys, an electric kit is the way to go. Admitidly I couldnt play it at midnight because you can still hear the noise of my whacking the pads, but it is a hell of a lot quieter than a normal kit!!

It also has loads of practice tutorials built in and tests to see if you can keep the beat almost exactly. There is about 30 different kits - the 80s power kit is my favourite at the moment :cool:

• Members

i've been wanting to get an electric drum kit for a few years now (would rather have an acoustic kit, but the noise factor) my biggest problem is i KNOW i want a kick, 4 toms, a snare, hi hat, 2 crash, china, splash, and ride set; which is a bit more than most drum kits i could afford would include; i'd also have to have a nice double kick pedal...and that's before i even get the module :(

i guess i could start out with something smaller, but that would drive me nuts just having that normal 5 piece w/ hi hat, crash, and ride setup

• Members

Drums sure are a workout. A lot of getting good at playing drums is just building up endurance. It's funny to think of how physically demanding it can be, even though it's a musical instrument, not a huge marathon. That's how I get my exercise. Drums were actually the first rock instrument I learned to play. I think that at Christmas, I will have been playing for three years now. I picked up guitar a few months after that, and now I am a monster at both. :D

If you really push yourself when you practice and pay attention to the drums in music you listen to, you will get very good, very fast.

Originally posted by JonathanD

I've been playing drums about 4 years and it's not a workout to me. If you have good technique and control, you can play as fast as you want with minimal effort.

What kind of music do you play? When I practice, I get warmed up, play a bunch of regular rock-type stuff, and then when I get tired of that, I start playing insane stuff, like fast double bass rolls with a bunch of random, crazy fills for as long as I can go without stopping. There's no way that wouldn't wear someone out. If you never push yourself, how are you going to build up endurance?

• Members

Drums rule....my first love. Guitar thing happened a couple years ago. You've got to love getting behind the kit and jamming out some Suffocation or Malevolent Creation tunes. Feel the stress just drain away.....

Decisions, decisions. Drums? Guitar? Drums? Guitar?

DSC00769.jpg

• Members

I usually go the other way. Guitars first....then on to drums. If I play drums first, I usually finish up pretty wired and play guitar {censored}ty (or I should say {censored}tier), hands are slightly shaky after a good drumming session so lots of fret sloppiness.

That's a pretty basic kit....but yeah, I've spent quite a bit on cymbals and pedals myself. The Axis pedals are SPENDY but so worth it if you play fast.

• Members

admitidly I could do with another crash cymbal or a china or something, one crash aint enough......

And the good thing about electric kit is that I have fit it easily into my tiny practice room. It can also be packed away flat in about 3 minds :)

Archived