My search for a smaller practice style amp

Mikeo

• Members

Ok, I have looked at the Fender Blues Jr, I was not very impressed, but have read many posts about speaker and tube up grades. The speaker upgrade could be a Jensen or maybe a Weber, and I hear that a new speaker and tubes will give it life.

I found a used Blues Jr for about 300 ish, and it's made in the USA. I don't know if there are any differences in tone between the MX made ones and the USA made ones, but all may amps are USA made, and I have mixed feeling about buy a new MX made one.

I have also talked to a guy abot a used Rivera Clubster at 22 watts. While this may seem like a lot of power, it funny hw a small power amp purcahsed for home and studio use, ends up a jam sessions and small gigs.

The used price is less than 700, just about as much as I want to spend.

Mesa makes no smaller amps, the F 30 being the smallest.

A store near me also has a Dr Z, mini Z, the guy says it's awesome, and folks have recommended a Mini Cat too. No tone control on the Dr Z, it's plug and play. They tell me it sounds great, but might be to small for a small bar gig.

Do ya think I could get a great tone out of the USA made Blues Jr if I swapped out speakers and tubes. The mastervolue and 12 inch speaker makes it worth looking into a bit further. I am not a high gain guy, but a master volume is very sweet.

Suggestions.

• Members

Oh another option is to make my own amp, there's a company that has an ad in Vintage Guitar every month and they sell kits. I tossed away my last mag, but it's like mojotine or a company like that. I don't know the price of the kit and cab either.

• Members

Originally posted by savoldi

Vox AD50VT. You save half that money and get about a zillion useful tones to play with at home or out.

thanks, I did try that amp and it was a bit thiner, and then on second tought it mith have been the AD30 model my GF was with and was getting board in the store and I was in ahurry, It did sound thinner compaired to the Blues Jr, but I may give a second look this weekend. The price id right, and no tubes to mess with.

There's mixed review on HC.

Archived