How many people actually get hit with lawsuits for downloading music???

caseykey118

• Members

my dad has a fit over me downloading music because im 17 and it would be his legal responsibility if i got caught....... and he says... even though its a slim chance it could happen.... and i was like well if it happens to you then you just have really really really bad luck.... but really how many people get hit with lawsuits? do you know?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well besides the fact that the chance of them choosing you is remote, all you really have to do is move most your music out of your saved folder. as far as i recall, they only went after people with 1000+ tracks (or maybe 500 ?). turn off sharing and there is no chance. and besides, i'm pretty sure this hoopla is more or less in the past. maybe they'll pop up and do it again though :o

• Members

Originally posted by MalcolmTex

Uh, what a bunch of degenerates you are. Not one single person suggested the OBVIOUS!! Free downloads are STEALING! You deserve to get caught if you do it and I am all for record companies and artists protecting and enforcing their rights.

What a tool. I wouldn't be too afraid of getting caught unless you actually share files out. I've actually used free downloading for legal uses a lot lately. I haven't bought a cd in quite a while but I have a lot of older cd's that are scratched to hell so I just download them and keep burn them to cd so I can actually listen to the music I already own. Obviously I've used the internet for not so legal stuff too. I would sign up for the pay sites too but I don't like the way they DRM their files and I really hate wma files. Anyway, just don't get careless and you'll be fine.

• Members

whatever....

Why should I give the record companies profit?? The bands themselves make next to nothing on every CD that's released. They make most money from touring. So the record companies ripoff the artists, I ripoff the record companies.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Indeed. When I get home tonight, Im downloading Batman Begins. Apparantly a DVD rip copy has been leaked. I never made it to the theatres to see it. So {censored} it, Ill watch on the comp tonight.
:cool:

I'm gonna have to go find that torrent!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by adamdevo

whatever....

Why should I give the record companies profit?? The bands themselves make next to nothing on every CD that's released. They make most money from touring. So the record companies ripoff the artists, I ripoff the record companies.

• Members

Originally posted by adamdevo

whatever....

Who do you think pays for the recording, equipment, pressing cds, promotion, etc?

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

Who do you think pays for the recording, equipment, pressing cds, promotion, etc?

for the smaller bands, the band. most of the time they break even (if that) after they pay back the labels for all of their services. the on broken wings crew were telling me about their tours...they have NEVER made a decent amount of money from their label on CDs. maybe they have a bad deal but hey so do most bands.

i dont like to buy CDs anymore, i download the music and buy shirts and stuff at shows. gets me new clothes, gets the band more bucks.

plus, a brand new shirt makes me a lot happier than getting the benefit of tiny artwork :cool:

• Members

Uh, what a bunch of degenerates you are. Not one single person suggested the OBVIOUS!! Free downloads are STEALING! You deserve to get caught if you do it and I am all for record companies and artists protecting and enforcing their rights.

I agree completely. I hope you and your Dad end up getting fined for every song you download!

Of all people, why are people on MUSICIAN forums wanting to steal from their own peers? When you steal music, you are stealing from people like those on this forum. I'm a producer. If you steal songs from a project that I've produced, you are stealing my royalties.

Just don't do it....

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

Of all people, why are people on MUSICIAN forums wanting to steal from their own peers? When you steal music, you are stealing from people like those on this forum. I'm a producer. If you steal songs from a project that I've produced, you are stealing my royalties.

Just don't do it....

HC peers = bar bands :D

• Members

U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song found illegally on your comp. as of june of this year there were just under 12,000 lawsuits filed.

around 2500 cases were settled out of court for around $3000-$4000...most were teenagers.

the lawsuits have not stopped. they file hundreds of new suits weekly.

besides it being illegal, it is simply wrong. go ahead and try to steal from the very ppl that enrich our lives so greatly....punks.

you guys aren't stealing from each other. {censored} most of us give our music away...its my music. but i don't give YOUR music away. if i paid for it, so will you. this is how we make a living.

why do you think that "the pros" don't share their music here? b/c of idiots like you that steal it and pass it around like the proverbial joint. you're all a bunch of self-centered "i-me-mine" thieves. enjoy your afternoon.

"you won't catch me" ...says the fly to the spider. :cool:

• Members

I wouldn't mind that people get sued for it if it wasn't for the fact that the RIAA people are apparently the only ones going after anyone.

RIAA=top five major record labels

See the problems? There's a few there.

And actually, you can share all you want, and in all liklihood, you will be safe. I doubt that people here are sharing thousands of songs off of the biggest major record labels...

• Members

I have bought CD's by every band I have ever down loaded. Hell I have found all of my favorite bands by either trading CD's/Tape or down loading. Hell alot of bands would die off without that.

Yeah maybe they have a small fanbase in brakahavala ville but with down loading maybe they will get a world wide fan base.

• Members

Originally posted by Ebola

I have bought CD's by every band I have ever down loaded. Hell I have found all of my favorite bands by either trading CD's/Tape or down loading. Hell alot of bands would die off without that.

Yeah maybe they have a small fanbase in brakahavala ville but with down loading maybe they will get a world wide fan base.

you bring up an interesting point...copywrites are intended to safeguard ownership of the 'work' to its 'creator'. not only the original, but hte distribution of copies. the bottom line in all this is well....the bottom line.

if i take a picture and someone steals it from me, i get to take it back. b/c i own it. its not that i'm worried about the picture itself (i have the negative so i can make another), but what the thief might do with it.

he may alter it and try to claim it as his own.

he may just try to give it away for free right as i'm publishing a photo essay. (deminishing the value of this otherwise exclusive photo---he now has made copies and gave them away for free--that lessons the value if it)

he may just try to sell it outright. the double wammy. now he's profiting off of my photo and deminishing the value of my 'exclusive' photo essay.

you see, it is about making money (or the potential of making it).

in the otherhand, if i were an upstart 'student' of photography, i might not mind if some of my work found its way to the public. its free advertising.

but that is still up to ME to decide and not the thief. what if my upstart-self had a website where you could buy my work for cheap?

its my choice.

if your balalakiaville band wanted to push for sales, creative advertising can help....but it is their responsibility to do so, not yours (unless they want you to).

i just cringe at the arrogance of some ppl. they think that just b/c they have access to it they can take it and justify their thievery by saying "i bought it later".

sure, i'll gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today.

he didn't get caught so "I-ME-MINE" says the thief. :cool:

• Members

you suck.

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

I agree completely. I hope you and your Dad end up getting fined for every song you download!

Just don't do it....

{censored} you and your royalties.

you sir, also suck.

Archived