Is a mac definitely better than a pc for recording

Big Hair

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really any big differences any more. Most software is cross-platform, but there are a few things that are still just for PC or just for Mac.

PC is cheaper, and if you're just using it for recording (IMO) it's faster. You can customize your PC for audio and really add some speed.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

what are the benefits?

Is it just ease of use or are the results better with a mac??

No, it really just comes down to what you're comfortable with. I like Macs, so that's what I use. If you're used to and like PC's, no point in switching.

• Members

Originally posted by Josh Savoy

Not really any big differences any more. Most software is cross-platform, but there are a few things that are still just for PC or just for Mac.

PC is cheaper, and if you're just using it for recording (IMO) it's faster. You can customize your PC for audio and really add some speed.

Mark is asking this for me really - I'm getting a second dedicated recording system, and I'm unsure what to do. I know for the money you can get 'more' PC than Mac, and I'd build it myself, and also I'm familiar with windows and all that rubbish already. Currently, I run a Motu 2408mkII into my PC, and into Cubase SX3. I want my new system to be compatible with my current one, so that I can record on the dedicated system, and then have my recordings transferable between both systems so I can mix whereever is convenient.

SX3 is fine, and I manage with it well, and as far I know it is the only one out of Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase that is compatible on both PC and Mac without Digi hardware.

So my questions then - what would be the best way to go - a second hand G4 Mac with my Motu running Cubase, or building a PC for around the same money (

• Members

You're gonna find that in a year or so, it's going to be impossible to find hardware to throw into a mac. They're gonna switch to using the intel x86 architecture and so they'll end up using the same hardware for both. If you wanted a Mac, then I'd wait until they start making them with the intel chips that way you could have a mac and dual or triple boot it with windows and Linux(sorry i'm a linux guy). Or just buy a pc don't worry about it. There's nothing in the systems architecture that makes one better than the other except for faster speeds on intel style systems. The reason everyone says that macs are better for multimedia is because Apple got their foot in the door really early and Microsoft ignored it at first. Right now, there's simply no difference except what software you're gonna use.

• Members

Originally posted by mofo3k

You're gonna find that in a year or so, it's going to be impossible to find hardware to throw into a mac. They're gonna switch to using the intel x86 architecture and so they'll end up using the same hardware for both. If you wanted a Mac, then I'd wait until they start making them with the intel chips that way you could have a mac and dual or triple boot it with windows and Linux(sorry i'm a linux guy). Or just buy a pc don't worry about it. There's nothing in the systems architecture that makes one better than the other except for faster speeds on intel style systems. The reason everyone says that macs are better for multimedia is because Apple got their foot in the door really early and Microsoft ignored it at first. Right now, there's simply no difference except what software you're gonna use.

I thought this was the case as well. I'm having the whole compatibilty headache now though.

Al

• Members

Yes they're switching to Intel. Apple has said Macs using Intel chips will come to market sometime spring 2006. This is going to be a slow transition, PPC Macs will still be supported for years to come. In fact new PPC Mac products will continue to be released over the next year.

Macs are easier to set up and maintain IMO. That's their main advantage. Overall they're also designed and manufactured better than the run of the mill PC. Speed-wise, sure you can get a faster Intel machine for the same money. What you're paying for is user experience. The current Power Macs are no slouch in the performance dept either. My girlfriend just got a dual 2.7ghz G5 with 8gb of RAM and it seriously hauls ass, though she uses it for graphic design.

• Members

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to start a pro studio, then you'd be better off with a Mac and Pro Tools HD System. If you're just doing demo stuff and/or using it as a writing tool, then I'd suggest something like a PC. Better yet, I'd suggest something like a used Roland VS1680. That way you wouldn't be spending lots of bucks on upgrades. You'd have what you want and that's about all you could do with it. When you started wanting better sonic ability, then you could switch to a pro system or go to a studio.

Personally, I bought a new Mac G4 and purchased the Pro Tools TDM Core System from Rob at MasterSound Studios in Virginia Beach when he was upgrading to the Pro Tools HD system over a year ago. Bought an extra Farm Card and 888/24 ADA, Great River Mic Pre and I'm rocking.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Darkburst

Yes they're switching to Intel. Apple has said Macs using Intel chips will come to market sometime spring 2006. This is going to be a slow transition, PPC Macs will still be supported for years to come. In fact new PPC Mac products will continue to be released over the next year.

Macs are easier to set up and maintain IMO. That's their main advantage. Overall they're also designed and manufactured better than the run of the mill PC. Speed-wise, sure you can get a faster Intel machine for the same money. What you're paying for is user experience. The current Power Macs are no slouch in the performance dept either. My girlfriend just got a dual 2.7ghz G5 with 8gb of RAM and it seriously hauls ass, though she uses it for graphic design.

I'm picking up a G5 within the next month or so. I'm a designer too. I have a G5 at work and now coming home to my 2.8ghz P4 pc is rough.

Before OSX I hated macs now that I'm running OSX on a G5 it's amazing.

• Members

I have a P4 2.4 Ghz computer. It's getting to be a bit slow for Cubase with a bunch of plugins.

If I use Absynth, the CPU runs at 40 persent. If I try to use a high quality reverb, it CPU pegs and the audio starts chopping up.

I'm thinking of going P4 Dual Core. Does anybody know the performance boost between that and what I have?

• Members

the main reason (IMO) macs have been considered superior for graphics and audio work, is that it really, really, really, really really, really, really sucks to lose work to a system freeze or other OS malfunction, and well-setup macs are a lot less apt to suffer such maladies.

• Members

Originally posted by PhilBelanger

I have a P4 2.4 Ghz computer. It's getting to be a bit slow for Cubase with a bunch of plugins.

If I use Absynth, the CPU runs at 40 persent. If I try to use a high quality reverb, it CPU pegs and the audio starts chopping up.

I'm thinking of going P4 Dual Core. Does anybody know the performance boost between that and what I have?

A new processor probably isn't going to change all that much. That sounds like you have some other issue. What are the rest of your specs like? Also, if you do go for a new computer, you should consider AMD. In a nutshell, they're cheaper and better.

Originally posted by potaetoes

the main reason (IMO) macs have been considered superior for graphics and audio work, is that it really, really, really, really really, really, really sucks to lose work to a system freeze or other OS malfunction, and well-setup macs are a lot less apt to suffer such maladies.

A well set up PC kept clear of the internet should be alright. Windows does suck, but it's mostly because of how vulnerable it is.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

A new processor probably isn't going to change all that much. That sounds like you have some other issue. What are the rest of your specs like? Also, if you do go for a new computer, you should consider AMD. In a nutshell, they're cheaper and better.

Yeah, I know I have to change everything, my processor is maxed out at 1.8 Ghz. I'm overclocking at 2.4 Ghz.

I need a new mobo, memory etc. I have the choice of either going dual CPU (xeon) or dual core. I thought about AMD but the last time I checked, ther were compatibility issues. Is this still true?

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

The irony is that I've lost more work on a mac than on pc.

• Members

A Mac is definitely not better than a PC for recording. This comes up all the time in the recording forums, and the bottom line as far as modern versions of Macs and PCs is

upside of Mac: no viruses

downside of Mac: more expenseive, slower, much if not most software and hardware is incompatible with Macs

So unless installing antivirus software is a major hardship for you or unless you have some pointless, irrational hatred of Bill Gates, PC is the only way to go. Macs are slowly but surely going extinct, with good reason.

• Members

Originally posted by silentheart

A Mac is definitely
not
better than a PC for recording. This comes up all the time in the recording forums, and the bottom line as far as modern versions of Macs and PCs is

upside of Mac: no viruses

downside of Mac: more expenseive, slower, much if not most software and hardware is incompatible with Macs

So unless installing antivirus software is a major hardship for you or unless you have some pointless, irrational hatred of Bill Gates, PC is the only way to go. Macs are slowly but surely going extinct, with good reason.

That's funny.

Archived