jcm 900 slx cleans?

slash81291

• Members

ok well does anyone have clips of cleans from this thing? im pretty much sold on it as long as i can get some cleans from it.. its 2 channels. dirty and dirtyer. i might make the first channel cleamn with like no gain or whatever i can do nd thne the second my rythem dist sound and then put my mxr 10 b eq infront for leads.

sound good?

opinions?

Mike

• Members

uhm, the SL-X doesn't have 2 channels, just 2 master volumes. You will get the same amount of gain with each volume control. The only thing that would change when switching the master volumes is the output.

Plus, the SL-X can't really produce that good of a clean tone. It can't clean up that well when you turn the gain controls down. It does however clean up alright when you back off your guitar's volume knob.

• Members

the SLX has distorted, and more distorted. no clean. well, i guess you *could* dial in some sort of clean, but it's not really what the amp was designed to do.

if you want SL-X type gain with a good clean channel, get an Ampeg VL amp and stick 6550s in it.

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

SGT, just get a 4500 900 DL with EL34s.

GREAT clean Channel, and GREAT lead channel.

Yeah, I would go in this direction. I got a chance to sit down with a 4500 today and I like it alot. More old school Marshall sounding than a DSL, IMO. I'm thinking of switching one of those myself:D.

• Members

Originally posted by FuelGTRX

Yeah, I would go in this direction. I got a chance to sit down with a 4500 today and I like it alot. More old school Marshall sounding than a DSL, IMO. I'm thinking of switching one of those myself:D.

Really? I have played through some DSLs and they sound great.

Maybe that is why I prefer my 900 still.

That sucker has PLENTY of gain. And then a great clean sound.

Esp with a compressor in front of it.

• Members

Good amp. :cool:

• Members

i love the dirty channel of the slx but i dont have the money for a clean amp on top of it.. and i was going to say i heard that the DR is a little sketchy .. idk.. and im nto sure about the DSL.. i heard that it is steril as upposed to the SLX.. and whatever i get it has to be 50 watts cause i like to puch the tubes without killing my ears.

• Members

anyone have clips of the 4500?

also my style would be tone like NUNO. all in the right hand haha. slash.. just think good hard rock.. some RR and Jake E Lee too. so i mean i like that modern gainy sound.. but i also like to have decent cleans.. or cleans atleast... no rolling back the volume knobs because i feel it is too inconsistant between stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

DSL much better clean. More than enough gain. Owned em both. Still have the DSL....

Yeah, the DSL clean is much better than the Dual Reverb. The Dual reverb can get decent clean tones, its just not as deep and sweet as the DSL's clean.

I'm actually turning my opinion around. Go with the DSL. It can basically get any distorted tone a Dual Reverb or SL-X can get, just with a better clean channel.

I just cranked up my DSL through my greenback loaded 1960A and it just smokes:D. Awsome tone, especially when you get the volume past 3.

I've seen many DSL 50's going for $650-750, it just takes a little shopping around now. I traded a Voodoo modded 5150 (which I paid $600 for) and traded it for my current DSL 50 and I couldn't be happier. I've had the amp the longest out of every amp I've owned. Almost 2 years.

• Members

Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

DSL much better clean. More than enough gain. Owned em both. Still have the DSL....

DSL is much cleaner than what? If someone is clean, how can it get cleaner? :D

Originally posted by jonny guitar

IMO the dirty channel of the SLX slays the DR....no comparison.

Uh, they are basically the same amps almost. Turn down the mids in a DR and you have the SLX sound.

Metalheads like the SLX more because of the 5881 tubes and the scoop sound. The SLX wouldn't be a very good "Slash" like sound. Esp since most don't have EL34s.

Rockers like the DR more because of the midrange EL34 honk that comes closer to the classic Marshall sound than the 5881 SLXs

Neither amp "Slays" each other.

Originally posted by slash81291

anyone have clips of the 4500?

also my style would be tone like NUNO. all in the right hand haha. slash.. just think good hard rock.. some RR and Jake E Lee too. so i mean i like that modern gainy sound.. but i also like to have decent cleans.. or cleans atleast... no rolling back the volume knobs because i feel it is too inconsistant between stuff.

Listen to the solo to "Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction. Really anything from them

Yeah, the DSL clean is much better than the Dual Reverb. The Dual reverb can get decent clean tones, its just not as deep and sweet as the DSL's clean.

Actually they both have a clean sound that sound very similar. No more "deepness" or "sweetness"

I got to borrow my friends DSL when he went to vacation.

It reminds me alot of the 900, but with switches and stuff I didn't need.

Both amps sounded great with a tad bit of compression in the front of them when on the clean setting.

They were too close to even tell that much apart.

Archived