Peavey Classic 30 Can't handle gain!

leakyfaucet

• Members

I have a peavey Classic 30 with stock everything. Any time I try to put any kind of distortion pedal or signal booster through the dirty channel, the amp gets very muddy and unclear. It sounds like crap. The Classic 30 seems to not be able to take any kind of high output signal, at least on the dirty channel.

Has anyone else had any luck fixing this problem? Maybe some tube changes? I love the sound of the classic 30 but sometimes it would be nice for a bit more gain!

• Members

For one, this amp is not a high gain amp. So, don't expect to max the preamp gain and expect good results overall IMO.

New tubes will greatly enhance the amp. The stock tubes leave the amp lifeless compared to nicer tubes. I used EH preamp and JJ power. iE preamp tubes are good too. But, it's a personal choice.

I'd replace the speaker too when you can. The speaker is OK, but you can do better. I used a V30 and loved it. Others prefer Greenbacks, Governors, etc.

• Members

Do you smoke crack?

How much gain do you need?

I have a peavey classic 50 and i sometimes use a bad monkey in the front of the gain channel for a lead boost. But besides that, this amp has alot of gain and doesnt get muddy. and mine is all stock..

There something your doing wrong, either that or your using a damn single coil strat..

• Members

Originally posted by thoughtless0ne

Do you smoke crack?

How much gain do you need?

I have a peavey classic 50 and i sometimes use a bad monkey in the front of the gain channel for a lead boost. But besides that, this amp has alot of gain and doesnt get muddy. and mine is all stock..

There something your doing wrong, either that or your using a damn single coil strat..

:D

• Members

Some good tips so far. I don't have one, but I've played one before. What I'd suggest is putting the amp's own gain just a little to start with and then use some form of overdrive to overdrive that amount of distortion, i.e. using either a slight boost from an eq pedal such as the Boss GE-7 or Danolectric Fish&Chips, or using a cheap Bad Monkey or maybe a Boss overdrive or an Ibanez tubescreamer, never setting the od box gain too high, either. It's about finding a balance IMO.

I used a tubescreamer for over a decade in combination with a Carvin X100B and got some killer fat tone with it. I prefer an eq pedal for boosting gain on a lot of amps now, partly because I can just increase a bit of lows and highs to boost gain as well as thicken the tone if I want to.

Good luck~!

• Members

The next time someone makes a post about a pevey classic not having enough gain, Iam going out and buying a damn mic and making some clips of my classic 50 just to SHOW you that these amps have BALLS and GAIN..Iam not sure what some of these people complaing about are doing to these amps..

• Members

Confused here - how much gain do you need? :confused:

I played through a Classic 30 tonight. Both an unmodded Fender Strat and a Guild S-300 both screamed through that 1x12 combo -- in fact, it has as much gain as the guy I was playing with (who had a triple rectifier and a 4x12) and the sound cut through the mix a fuck of a lot better.

Me thinks you need to reevaluate the need for additional gain with a Classic 30 amp?! :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by BerkleeBill

Confused here - how much gain do you need?
:confused:

I played through a Classic 30 tonight. Both an unmodded Fender Strat and a Guild S-300 both screamed through that 1x12 combo -- in fact, it has as much gain as the guy I was playing with (who had a triple rectifier and a 4x12) and the sound cut through the mix a fuck of a lot better.

Me thinks you need to reevaluate the need for additional gain with a Classic 30 amp?!
:rolleyes:

Stock Classic 30?

For even more fun, as mentioned above, F-N-C/EQ in the loop, and Bad Monkey up front. Then twist those dials clockwise start RIPPIN' into it.

-ZX

• Members

I've had my classic 30 since they first came out and never really liked it. I found the bass response really flabby and the amp itself can get very thin sounding (honk).

I recently re-tubed (not the first re-tube) with a package from eurotubes and that helped alot.

But, at the last gig I was again going nuts with how thin it can sound. Tweking the tone settings could go from thin to muddy - not a great choice.

Now I replaced the speakers - one in the amp and one in the ext cab. I put in some used Celestion G12-70s.

Now it is sounding pretty great. Bass response is totally different, I can back off the treble and get real usable, musical sounds.

The gain channel is sounding awesome now.

I paid somewhere around 60 for the tubes and 100 for the 2 speakers.

Re: your original question - if you have the gain up kind of high, and then put a pedal in front with its gain up high, you will overwhelm it.

Try either using a lower gain on the pedal or on the amp. If you have the gain up high on the amp, the pedal doesn't need so much and can function also as a volume boost. Or, use the pedal for the distortion sound and give the preamp a break by reducing the gain there.

When I use my pedalboard, I normally go into the clean channel.

To really get the power amp going you need to turn it up too. The little bugger is amazingly loud. Most people cannot believe it is 30 watts.

I recently put in an order for a recto-verb combo and I'm real happy about that. But the PV is doing way better with these mods. I wish I had done it years ago.

I had some great recommendations for weber speakers too but didn't want to part with that much $$$$ considering what the recto will cost! (www.webervst.com)

Cheers,

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by stevetree

Re: your original question - if you have the gain up kind of high, and then put a pedal in front with its gain up high, you will overwhelm it.

Try either using a lower gain on the pedal or on the amp. If you have the gain up high on the amp, the pedal doesn't need so much and can function also as a volume boost. Or, use the pedal for the distortion sound and give the preamp a break by reducing the gain there.

+1

Also try an Eminence Texas Heat or Red White & Blues.

• Members

I have a '95 Classic 30 that I have re-tubed with Tesla JJ EL-84s and EH-12AX7s...Also replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion V-30...Totally different amp after the changes...The gain channel sounds a lot thicker and smoother...I also use a matching 112E cab for more bottom end...I use a ZOOM PD-01 (Set to OD) with the clean channel (Set just short of breakup) and it will overdrive the {censored} out of it...With the gain channel engaged I get violin style gain using the PD-01 (Using it as a clean boost)...Both modes are loud as hell...I would like a little more bottom end, but I can dial that in with my ZOOM Hl-01, approaching Recto style thunk...The tubes, speakers, and extra cab are the keys...I have gigged with this amp for years and out front through the PA, it sounds HUGE...

Stay away from the "Boost" switch, it is useless...

I love this amp...I think what Peavey recently did to the cosmetics (the little dip in the front panel, where you can't take the logo off) makes them look GAY...Maybe it will make the older ones collectable!!!...EBay anyone?

• Members

Thanks, to all with helpful replies. I'm actually going for a pretty heavilly distorted sound. And before you all laugh, and say I need another amp, think of this:

Older Marshall amps have very little gain on their own, less than a classic 30, but can take tons of signal and get very distorted without getting muddy.

It's pretty rediculous how easilly this thing gets muddy. If I have my pre-gain maxed on the amp, I can't even turn an overdrive, distortion pedal or line booster on at their lowest setting before it starts getting muddy. It's like with the pre-gain maxed, that is the very edge of smooth distortion.

I think it sounds great on its own, so I'm a little wary of spending money changing the tubes, if it isn't going to help the gain situation. Anyone else with experience?

PS: I just look on peavey.com at the new classic 30s. You're right, they're hideous!

• Members

Originally posted by leakyfaucet

It's pretty rediculous how easilly this thing gets muddy. If I have my pre-gain maxed on the amp, I can't even turn an overdrive, distortion pedal or line booster on at their lowest setting before it starts getting muddy. It's like with the pre-gain maxed, that is the very edge of smooth distortion.

Thats true - I'm finding that it works better when the gain is not dimed. The c-30 only has 3 preamp tubes. I am not sure how many are used for the gain on the dirty channel - ya know what I mean, to produce the gain(distortion). Compare to a boogie where there are 5 tubes that cadade gain from one into the other.

You have to find a balance between channel gain and pedal distortion.

Driving the power tubes into distorion is very cool, but friggin loud. When I retubed, I went with the high gain package from eurotubes. Between that and the new speakers, its like a different amp. I struggled for years with it and wish I made these changes sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by leakyfaucet

Did you put in high gain pre-amp tubes? I was thinking of buying a package like that from groove tubes. How do you like it? A lot more gain? A little? Any other differences?

Anybody have any more speaker recommendations?

The pack I got from eurotubes was the high gain pack. I do believe the preamp tubes are higher gain. When this pack was combined with my speaker change, I started to like the gain sound. I've been playing it alot lately and its like a different amp. I've actually been satisfied with gain at somewhere between 50% and 75% and have been using the "post" knob (power amp) to get some really good sounds. I would strongly recommend re-tubing AND speaker replacement.

Now that I actually like the sound, I am learning how to set up the tone controls. I know is sounds like, "hey whats so hard about that?" but for me, it takes alot of tweaking to get the sound right.

I know alot of people have "better" speaker choices. MY feeling on that is any quality speaker will be way better than the stocker.

The guy at Eurotubes apparently likes his C-30 and has had all kinds of speakers in. He was recommending a couple of models by weber. This guy was a great help and if you talk to him, he will ask what your music is and help you figure out how to set the c-30 up. (speakers and tubes to match your style).

Steve

Archived