H&K Edition Tube v. Tech 21 Trademark v. Line 6 Flextone III

FiveIron

• Members

I need something small and cheap. Stopped playing in a band, and joined the unfortunate crowd of the people that are forced to live real lives. But, I would like to know what you guys thing the best amp would be. I'm looking for a bit of everything (i.e. rock, hard rock, blues... basically the links below too). Pick one and tell me why -or- tell me what not to buy.

1. Line 6 Flextone III

2. Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary Edition Tube

-or-

3. Tech 21 Trademark 60 or 120

Thanks for the advice,

Five

Greenwheel.net - Great rock band

alterbridge.com - Awesome Guitar Work from Mark Tremonti

injectedfan.com

• Members

well i would personally rank them

tech21

h and k

line6

i really like the tech21 stuff for practicing and what not

i just cant warm up to line6, they have always been second to johnson imo as far as modeling stuff, tech21 is a great company to deal with, high quality stuff that sounds great, h and k has a spotty quality record but some of their higher line stuff just kills (puretone, duotone, triamp, etc) Tech21 is a sure bet

• Members

I'd rank 'em as follows:

1. Tech 21

2. H&K

3. Line 6

Having played all three, I found the Tech 21 to be the overall winner for all around form and function. The tones are more musical than the Line 6 but fall short of the H&K HOWEVER, the Trademark owns the Anniversary Edition 20 for versatility.

If it was a "tone alone" issue, I'd go with the tube Kettner but you'll get 75% of the tone in a more dependable package with the Tech 21. I've owned H&K's and they haven't always been the most dependable amps and outside of their warranty, are EXPENSIVE to repair. For solid state, I can't recall playing anything lately that comes close to the "roundness" of a tube tone aside from the Tech 21 Trademark 60.

As for the Line 6....well, I'd say maybe by the time they're on to Flextone version five or six, let's hope they won't sound so damn digital. Those amps just kill your dynamics...more so than just about any digital amp I've played short of Behringer's digital combo. They're fine for the metal heads (great distortions) but I just couldn't find myself to like 'em even though I've noodled with 'em for ages now.

Go with the Tech 21...you won't be disappointed. From what I've gathered over the years, one of the few complaints that amp receives is its ability to get the job done during a live gig but apparently, that isn't a concern for you anymore.

• Members

I have a H&K Edition Tube 20 (original) and it is a great amp. It has a bit Voxish voicing to it and takes pedals very well. I have 2 heads on the way I need to pay for and I am considering selling it. PM me if you are interested.

Selling mine or not I would put it in first above the others.

• Members

I have a Trademark 300 head and I think it gives great tones for a non tube head. It's British (Marshall) channel is a great lead channel since the mids are boosted and the California (Mesa) channel is great to do rhythm work since it has a deeper voice. No I don't think that the tones from my Trademark 300 are as good as my tube amps, but 95% of folks in the audience couldn't care less what I was playing through.

I am sorta interested in the Line 6 line. I swear that HD 147 and Spider II head are calling to me!

Derek

• Members

Originally posted by blinz

If you buy the Trademark 60, put a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it. It's a very good sounding amp in stock form, but the V30 makes it sound tons better.

Hmm... I haven't tried that. I have a Celestion Century in mine which makes the leads sing but I don't think the rhythm on the dirty channel is any better with it.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by blinz

If you buy the Trademark 60, put a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it. It's a very good sounding amp in stock form, but the V30 makes it sound tons better.

Could you elaborate a little more on how it changes the sound? I'm trying to tighten up the bass response on mine and I'm wondering what speaker change will help me. I can get good punch out of it, it just needs a little more clarity. And I have tried backing off the gain. That speaker remains fuzzy in the bottom end at very low gain settings.

• Members
Originally posted by FiveIron

I need something small and cheap. Stopped playing in a band, and joined the unfortunate crowd of the people that are forced to live real lives. But, I would like to know what you guys thing the best amp would be. I'm looking for a bit of everything (i.e. rock, hard rock, blues... basically the links below too). Pick one and tell me why -or- tell me what not to buy.

1. Line 6 Flextone III

2. Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary Edition Tube

-or-

3. Tech 21 Trademark 60 or 120

Thanks for the advice,

Five

Greenwheel.net - Great rock band

alterbridge.com - Awesome Guitar Work from Mark Tremonti

injectedfan.com

I haven't played the new H/K but if it is anything like the older model I'd put it about three pages higher than those other two. Its actually a pretty nice sounding amp. I'd throw a Vox AD model a bit above either of the other two as well.

Archived