what the hell is that crate box thing looks like a pedal

J Bone

• Members

I think its a genious idea. I'd buy one if i had the extra money. Its raw power, not much to move, simple, great for people who use their pods and v-amps through their amps. I had a rogue head that i sold to a friend, it sounded like ass, but since he runs my old v-amp through it, it actually sounds good, and it was cheap.

It would be awesome to have in a limited space as well. VERY portable, its a wonder no one thought of this earlier.

Originally posted by i51423

It was a joke?

I play a 5150.. that's FAR from boutique. I also play through a Behringer cab.. I don't have high end gear.

No snobbery here. I was just joking.

Some of us are a little sensitive on the subject, esp. when every thread turns into "i had a Crate in the 70's and it sucked and therefore everything they've ever done sucks"

The thing with the Powerblock is the Gain knob is supposed to be a kinda pseudo channel selector, so that you've got more clean room than normal and then the gain comes in. It's a variation of their flexwave thing, I can't remember the details.

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

Some of us are a little sensitive on the subject, esp. when every thread turns into "i had a Crate in the 70's and it sucked and therefore everything they've ever done sucks"

Ah. I think Crate's are fine for the money, but I'd definitely advise the step up to a nicer amp eventually. They're great for a cheap, heavy distortion. The cleans are very "meh". What else would you expect?

The Powerblock is a neat idea.. but it's a little small considering a cab is how big? It'll look funny on top of one. :cool:

Ah. I think Crate's are fine for the money, but I'd definitely advise the step up to a nicer amp eventually. They're great for a cheap, heavy distortion. The cleans are very "meh". What else would you expect?

My first 'proper' amp was a Crate GT1200 head and 4x12. I've picked up a Carvin Legacy and one of the original Marhsall Valvestate heads since, but I still play the Crate, it's oustanding value for money.

Tossing between a Rectifier or a Randall MTS at the moment.

Go for the 5150!
:D

How's that Legacy? Can you get a gain-y clean on it at all? That's probably what I like most about my 5150.

The legacy is great. Far too much power, but you can drop two tubes out of it. It's got a bias switch for el34/6l6/58? (the other one), but i've never had anything apart from EL34s in it.

It's a bit more flabby than I initially thought, it's got a lot of mid range and isn't quite as tight as I like. I picked it up because it's owner was going to Brazil and wanted it to have a good home. :)

According to the manual, it has a 'secret feature', so that if you've got it cranked, and you drop the guitar volume, it cleans up! I've never tried it to be honest, but apparently Vai asked for it...

• Members

it doesn;t sound particularly good on its own, but wasnt expecting it to sound great. However it is an ideal backup amp to take to gigs incase your main amp goes down - just run a decent OD pedal before it and I think you could get by fairly well.

• Members

Actually, the Crate Powerblock sounds really good.

I've A/B'd it with a number of amps (I'm a bit of a collector) and if you didn't see it you would swear it was an expensive amp. It's not a high gain amp though- you need a pod or pedal for that.

I suggest evaluating it with your ears, not your eyes.

• Members
Originally posted by profklamen

I've A/B'd it with a number of amps (I'm a bit of a collector) and if you didn't see it you would swear it was an expensive amp. It's not a high gain amp though- you need a pod or pedal for that.

You must be mistaken - it doesn't use EL34s or KT88s so there's NO WAY it can sound good.

Is there ;)

• Members
Originally posted by profklamen

just my opinion :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

The legacy is great. Far too much power, but you can drop two tubes out of it. It's got a bias switch for el34/6l6/58? (the other one), but i've never had anything apart from EL34s in it.

It's a bit more flabby than I initially thought, it's got a lot of mid range and isn't quite as tight as I like. I picked it up because it's owner was going to Brazil and wanted it to have a good home.
:)

According to the manual, it has a 'secret feature', so that if you've got it cranked, and you drop the guitar volume, it cleans up! I've never tried it to be honest, but apparently Vai asked for it...

you might try putting 6L6s in it... that might tighten it up a little

Originally posted by iplayloudly

you might try putting 6L6s in it... that might tighten it up a little

I missed this post yesterday, thanks for the advice :)

Archived