Fender TWIN Reverb Decision

tshapiro

• Members

Before you go and blurt out "Blackface!" I'd like to run something by those of you who are experience with these amps. I play in an 80's band and currently use a HRD 4x10 with a Boss DD3 delay in the loop on all the time - low effect level but noticable. I've never been happy with any buffered pedals between my guitar and the amp - nothing but a $50 Monster cable. I'm one of those people who can really hear the difference between cords. Anyways, I'm going to be picking up a TWIN Reverb for those killer cleans but I have a quandry... The old Blackface has no loop which means my DD3 will be a buffered pedal inline which almost seems to defeat the purpose of having such a perfect amp. It seems that plugging direct to a RI with the DD3 in the loop would maintain that 'direct' feeling better.

Since I can't tryout a Blackface, I'd like to hear the opinions from those of you with hands on experience with these amps.

Thanks!

• Members

I don't mean to sound dense, but what exactly would you like to know about these amps? I have a blackfaced Twin, not sure of the year but it's been dated between '63 and 65', depending on who was doing the dating.

Anyway, you mentioned maintaining that "direct" feeling, but that's going to be a difficult thing for someone else to tell you about, you'll probably have to try one yourself. I can tell you my amp does sound awesome for cleans and it's just really fun to play, but how that compares to what you're looking for is subjective. It definately has that direct translation of what the guitar is doing, it pretty responsive that way. I have no clue how it compares to a resissue. Sometimes vintage stuf comes with baggage, such as with mine it still has the 2 prong ac cord so it's shocks the hell out you!

You're probably not in the Phoenix area, but if you are you're welcome to come plug in and see what you think.

• Members

Well, I'm thinking of getting the reissue because of the effects loop. So, I was hoping to get some comparisons of the blackface to the RI with respect to using pedals. In other words, I'm looking for responses possilby like this...

"The blackface is better, but, if you're going to through a buffered pedal in the mix than go with the RI which has an effects loop."

or

"The blackface is so much better that even throwing a buffered pedal in line it's still the better choice."

• Members

I was gonna say just run the DD3 in a true bypass loop, but that wouldn't matter if it's on all the time.

Toughie. I don't know what to tell you, but personally I'd find a delay pedal that would work better with what your requirements are and go from there. Doesn't make much sense to buy an 800-1K dollar amp around a 150-200 dollar pedal choice.

• Members

put something like a superhardon or master blaster before the DD3, set for no boost or very very tiny tiny subtle boost. it'll drive the signal through the DD3 without any loss, and it'll regain you every single bit of that direct-connected feeling, and then some. you'll feel like the amp knows what you're thinking before you even think it, and everything will sound a lot better than even plugging in directly.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

put something like a superhardon or master blaster before the DD3, set for no boost or very very tiny tiny subtle boost. it'll drive the signal through the DD3 without any loss, and it'll regain you every single bit of that direct-connected feeling, and then some. you'll feel like the amp knows what you're thinking before you even think it, and everything will sound a lot better than even plugging in directly.

I have a pretty good Axess-Exectronics dedicated buffer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived