aquaman

• Members

Originally posted by aquaman

Is there a big difference in sound between the 5150 Combo

and the 5150 II Head

I'm very happy with my Combo but I never had the opportunity

to check out the 5150 head
:rolleyes:

Im in the same boat as you i have the combo but have never played the head version, so im also interested in knowing the differences.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Jerry, on your site when it says "voiced darker" is that refering to the combo or the head?

Combo, all those differences are for the combo. That is compared to the 5150, not the 5150II. The differences for the 5150II and 5150 heads are on another page of my site.

Jerry

• Members

I owned a 5150 combo for a little over a year, not a great representation of the "5150 tone". Half the problem in with the speakers and the other half is due to some small changes in design and circutry. I did, however enjoy the addition of reverb. Just my opinion.

• Members

combos shouldnt sound any tighter, becuase theres only half the number speakers, the higher wattage the speakers are rated and the more speakers-the tighter ur tone will sound. U must have played a really low wattage cab or something, I played a 5150 into a 120watt cab and it was way loose, it sounded pleasing at a wisper but when i gets crancked it would lose brightness and tone definition and not cut through. Too tight of cabs sound to hard and unpleasnt tho they cut through and are brighter, that why i love running jcm2000 marshall heads into a 200 watt cabs at lower volumes, but at a fully crancked volume the typical 300w marshall cabs are the way to go for my tone.

Remeber tightness is how far out ur speaker cone can move, loss amps push the speaker cone gurther like mesa recs and vintage marshalls givng a darker heaveyier tone, while peaveys, fenders and hi-gain marshalls tend to sound less heavy and brighter and more agressive becuase of the tightness. The wattage of the amps, the cab wattage and amp tightness and the speakers themselves effect tightness-it took me a while to learn but ppl have educated me

Archived