Please help me pick a speaker for my Blue Angel.

Porkchop Xpress

• Members

I am throwing a set of JJ's into my Blue Angel and I am looking for the right speaker to upgrade it with. I want to get both Deluxe Reverb sounds when in 6V6 mode and Vox tones when I am playing through the EL84's. I have been researching speakers, but I don't know which ones to go with. The Celestion Blues (Alnico) seem to get the best reviews for the tones I am looking for, but they are only rated at 15 watts and they are very expensive. Does anyone have experience with Webers? What do you guys suggest? Alnico or Ceramic? I mostly play Blues and Classic Rock type stuff on the BA and leave the high gain to my MK IV.

• Members

The Celestions Blues are indeed top of the line for getting that Vox sound. For less than half the price you can get the Red Fang alnico Eminence's answer to the Celestion Blue for a little over $100. A lot of folks love them and they can easily handle 30w. Weber also make their own version called the alnico Blue Dog I believe. They are made a little better than the Eminence and available as 15, 30, and 50w speakers for about $165. Both are excellent speakers and will work for what you are doing. There are also a ton of great speakers that are ceramic made by Eminence that will give you great tones as well, like the Cannabis Rex hemptone speaker for super smooth tones. Option overload, but we should be happy to have so many great choices.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by jazzgitter

The Celestions Blues are indeed top of the line for getting that Vox sound. For less than half the price you can get the Red Fang alnico Eminence's answer to the Celestion Blue for a little over $100. A lot of folks love them and they can easily handle 30w. Weber also make their own version called the alnico Blue Dog I believe. They are made a little better than the Eminence and available as 15, 30, and 50w speakers for about $165. Both are excellent speakers and will work for what you are doing. There are also a ton of great speakers that are ceramic made by Eminence that will give you great tones as well, like the Cannabis Rex hemptone speaker for super smooth tones. Option overload, but we should be happy to have so many great choices.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with the speakers so I can get a shootout style review. For instance, which is the more versitile speaker, the Blue Dog or the Silver Bell. Has anyone done an A/B comparison with the Celestion Blues and the Weber Alnico's? What type of flub can I expect from the Eminences and which is the closest to a vintage Jensen P12 style 12?

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

how much power does a blue angel put out? i'm a huge fan of the alnico blues myself.

When it is in 6V6 mode it puts out about 15 watts. The quad of EL84's are 33 watts and when they are run together the amp is at about 38 watts. It is a gorgeous Class A tone and the 6V6's add that warmth and smoothness that the EL84's add and the EL84's provide the punch and chime that the 6V6's don't really have. Together they sound very nice.

• Members

webervst...very good spkrs at a fraction of the cost of 'higher-end name-brand' spkrs. ted weber is a nice guy and has a good ear for tone. great customer service.

alnico shoot-out link. http://www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm
its an old review, but i have to agree with the assessment based on what i've heard....limited as it is. (celestion 'bull-dog' blue, webervst blue-dog (p12b), webervst silver bell, fane alnico.)

my personal all around favorite has always been Fane spkrs. very high quality and great tone. the down side to many of Fane's spkrs tho, is that you often have to push them hard to get them to sound their best. i have to admit i'm not a loud player.

my next would be webervst. not for tone alone, but for the over-all quality and price and acutal usability of the spkr...higher wattage rating for instance is a BIG + for me.

i like the sound of an amp and spkr(s) that are being pushed to their limits. i don't want anything to go south on me because of it tho.
i want spkrs to sound like they are at the edge, yet be able to withstand being played there for hours on end. FANE wins hands down in this catagory! i've never blown a fane spkr in 25yrs, in spite of pushing them hard all day.
webervst would be my choice also. i've yet to send one to the 'nether regions'...however i've only used them for about 5yrs.

IDk, read the 'old' reviews - they will help some. i have to take off on a road trip in a few minutes, so i'm outta here for now.

peace. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by mylzenmylz

webervst...very good spkrs at a fraction of the cost of 'higher-end name-brand' spkrs. ted weber is a nice guy and has a good ear for tone. great customer service.

alnico shoot-out link.
http://www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm

its an old review, but i have to agree with the assessment based on what i've heard....limited as it is. (celestion 'bull-dog' blue, webervst blue-dog (p12b), webervst silver bell, fane alnico.)

my personal all around favorite has always been Fane spkrs. very high quality and great tone. the down side to many of Fane's spkrs tho, is that you often have to push them hard to get them to sound their best. i have to admit i'm not a loud player.

my next would be webervst. not for tone alone, but for the over-all quality and price and acutal usability of the spkr...higher wattage rating for instance is a BIG + for me.

i like the sound of an amp and spkr(s) that are being pushed to their limits. i don't want anything to go south on me because of it tho.

i want spkrs to sound like they are at the edge, yet be able to withstand being played there for hours on end. FANE wins hands down in this catagory! i've never blown a fane spkr in 25yrs, in spite of pushing them hard all day.

webervst would be my choice also. i've yet to send one to the 'nether regions'...however i've only used them for about 5yrs.

IDk, read the 'old' reviews - they will help some. i have to take off on a road trip in a few minutes, so i'm outta here for now.

peace.
:cool:

Great response mylzenmylz. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have already read through those reviews, but I wanted to get a more three dimensional viewpoint of the speakers that are out there right now. I'll have to check out the Fanes, but I think I'm going to go with the Webervst Silver Bell.

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

When it is in 6V6 mode it puts out about 15 watts. The quad of EL84's are 33 watts and when they are run together the amp is at about 38 watts. It is a gorgeous Class A tone and the 6V6's add that warmth and smoothness that the EL84's add and the EL84's provide the punch and chime that the 6V6's don't really have. Together they sound very nice.

i always wanted to play a blue angel, but i've never had the chance. i bought an F-50 and i'm happy with it (completlely different design, i know), but still i wanna hear that blue angel.

Archived