Is the Boss RV-3 as good as the reverb/delay on a POD XT?

Megadeth7684

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

The RV-3 is a pretty cool pedal.

Jerry

Yup, pretty cool. I've had one for over 10 years and just now starting to really use it and I'm really liking it. Probably not great for studio work, but live I think it sounds very nice.

• Members

I always think about getting it also.

It does seem to get a lot of negative reviews. I always wonder, because I prefer studio rack processors to old analog ones, so maybe I would prefer it? Although I have heard some pretty tinny Reverb in Boss Processors...

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

I always think about getting it also.

It does seem to get a lot of negative reviews. I always wonder, because I prefer studio rack processors to old analog ones, so maybe I would prefer it? Although I have heard some pretty tinny Reverb in Boss Processors...

The delay is just like a Boss DD6, the reverb section gets alot of criticism for sounding like a "tin can" because it doesn't sound warm or analog.

You can tell the reverb is really just shortened delays, but I think the digital clarity of it helps in live situations instead of muddying up the tone.

The one feature I do have trouble dialing in is the combination settings of delay + reverb. It sounds like there is too much going on almost.

Great pedal though though, Boss decided to stop production of it and make a dedicated Reverb pedal instead.

• Members

I think the DD3 has a more organic sound than the 5 or 6. You do lose the tap tempo though and a few other features but the 3 sounds better.

Mega, just use 2 pedal man. If you do not want to go that route save up for a G-Major and get even more for your money:)

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyChains

I think the DD3 has a more organic sound than the 5 or 6. You do lose the tap tempo though and a few other features but the 3 sounds better.

Mega, just use 2 pedal man. If you do not want to go that route save up for a G-Major and get even more for your money:)

Yes, very true. The DD3 is a good sounding digital. Better still if you get one from the late 80's or early 90's when they first came out. They sound warmer for some reason, compared to new ones.

• Members

You know, its really hard to post an honest opinion without sounding like an ass and making someones feelings hurt, but I thought the RV3 sucked ass. I dont know, it kinda seems to rob any definition and was worthless for anything beyond ambient clean sounds IMO.

My buddy likes his but he also thinks his Marshall AVT 100 is the {censored}.

YMMV, Im not a BOSS hater, just thier delays and reverbs need help.

• Members

Originally posted by RonniePentatonic

You know, its really hard to post an honest opinion without sounding like an ass and making someones feelings hurt, but I thought the RV3 sucked ass. I dont know, it kinda seems to rob any definition and was worthless for anything beyond ambient clean sounds IMO.

My buddy likes his but he also thinks his Marshall AVT 100 is the {censored}.

YMMV, Im not a BOSS hater, just thier delays and reverbs need help.

What is a better suggestion with with both Delay and Reverb in 1 pedal?

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

What is a better suggestion with with both Delay and Reverb in 1 pedal?

Well, The PODXT that he sold, for starters. Hell, even a cheapo Danelectro reverb and Danecho delay run together in the loop would sound better than that POS.

Why not just run a good reverb and a delay? Hell Im by far not the only one that thinks the RV3 blows. :)

Archived