My take on Shovel Headed Kill Machine

troublehead

• Members

I am a huge Exodus fan, however, I wasn't going to buy this disc because of the thread putting it down last week. I picked it up today and I think it's great. I think the big disappointment is due to the GREATNESS of Tempo. Its a hard act to follow. However, you have to approach SHKM for what it is. Exodus IS and HAS always been a thrash/groove band. That's what this disc is. Bonded by Blood is considered monumental. IMO, this album sounds more like Bonded by Blood era than any of their prior releases. I agree, the tone seems a bit "unrefined" I guess and the new vocalist could be more dynamic, but I strongly recommend SHKM for all the "old fart" thrash metal fans like me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Absolutely. Fair Warning was great and Diver Down was terrible - luckily they followed it up with 1984.

VH have 3 bad albums IMO.

I don't understand why so many people come down so hard on Exodus for this new album, except that they're possibly wearing blinders of sentimentality. I mean come on, even some of their "best" stuff had its moments of less-than-perfect. They don't have a single album I'll listen to from beginning to end. And the feel of this album overall is familiar enough too, it's not too much of a stretch.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

I don't understand why so many people come down so hard on Exodus for this new album, except that they're possibly wearing blinders of sentimentality. I mean come on, even some of their "best" stuff had its moments of less-than-perfect. They don't have a single album I'll listen to from beginning to end. And the feel of this album overall is familiar enough too, it's not too much of a stretch.

I agree. Aside from my earlier points. Deathamphetamine is a little stretched out and the title track is a throw away. Other than that, I think its great.

• Members

Originally posted by troublehead

I agree. Aside from my earlier points. Deathamphetamine is a little stretched out and the title track is a throw away. Other than that, I think its great.

8+ minutes of any thrash/death song is way too much. :) Anyway the title track will grow on you. I play the CD when I'm on the exercise bike, and don't think about it much. Next thing I knew it I liked that track. It's the songs which are more different which take the longest to grow on a person.

Archived