Marshall 1960A cab

krazeexharhar

• Members

Lately it's been sounding kind of farty on the low end...I've never really cranked it before until recently, but aren't these cabinets supposed to be known for their low end? I don't get any thunk out of this cab. Could speakers be blown or should I just get a different cab for my dual recto?

• Members

I had a marshall 1960a and yea it was farty on the low end...i would think essp with a mesa recto it would be more loose...why not swapp two of those gt75's out for two vintage 30s..that will tighten it up and bit and you will basically have the bongner uber cab without the 999 price tag.....

• Members

the 1960 cabs should be the best when cranked up, maybe its an isuee with ur head. Its a tight hard sounding cab, it should have great bottom end.

My idea set up to run a DSL or 5150 into a 200 watt crate cab, to push a bit more speaker distortion but not so much that brightness, cut and definition is at all lost, just a mild amount of speaker fizz.

• Members

The Randall cabs are similar to the Mesa Recto cabs, but they're a bit smaller, it'll fit in your trunk. It fits in my 1993 Ford Thunderbird's trunk. And yes, it's a good cab, well built with V30's. I'm going to bed now, PM me if you wanna talk more about the cab, or want to buy it. It's on Ebay right now, the link is in my sig.

• Members

no you won't, the bogner cab is constructed much better.

Those marshall cabs can't handle much lows, and the highs are scratchy too.
Thats said, they still can work pretty well live or recorded.

• Members

originally posted by pol

no you won't, the bogner cab is constructed much better.

Yup. It's kinda funny how people just think they can put 2 V30's and 2 G12T75's in any old cab, and it's the same thing as a Bogner Uberkab. They forget the Bogner is all hand built with the best materials available.

• Members

yeah i agree try to find a bogner cab.

i took my mesa to a store that sold bogner so i could do an ecstasy comparison to my dual.. the mesa sounds HUGE though the bogner cabinet. quite possibly the most full 3d sounding cabinet ive ever heard. it impressed the hell out of me. in my opinion SO much better than a 1960AV or the mesa cabinets.

the 1960AV cabinet has too much of a "uni-directional" sound the sound projects straight forward, but when you are on either side of the cabinet...it sounds off. the mesa cabinet is fuller but for some reason it doesnt pick up on the gain as much as a marshall does...the bogner cabinet is like the offsrping of a a mesa cab that had sex with a 1960AV.

• Members

I find the marshall cab really disgusting while is not working with a marshall amp...

For example...when i have to use my Powerball with the 1960 cab the distortion allways sound shrill, very piercing voicing...i prefer much more my engl 4x12 standart (the one with V60) that make the distortion much more smooth and sweet.

The best cabinet i tried was the Mesa traditional with V30; make the engl Screamer i had sound HUGE.

• Members

Check to see if the speakers have loosened up by taking the back off the cab. Also once in there you will see a brace going front to back. Make sure there is a screw on the back panel into that brace - some of them don't have that screw - add one if you don't have one. The fartiness typically comes from either loose speakers, or the back panel vibrating -it's particle / pressed board and will vibrate, so make sure it's tight. I put some light weather stripping around the edge of the back panel too.

All this helps, but in the end, that cab can fart like 400 lb fat dude leaving an all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet.

• Members

Check the screws on the speakers, and the rest of the screws for the cab.

Don;t forget you can have a great sounding cab with different speakers and applying some batting to the back of the cab - but moderation is key - too much can make the cab too "sterile"

Archived