what are some good songs that have good examples of alternate, legato, sweep etc.....

LIAR-502

• Members

What are some songs that have good examples of alternate picking, legato, sweep picking and string skipping??? I'm sick of sitting and playing meaningless exercises over and over, i want to play actual music and use parts of songs or solo's to work up my techniques. So what are some good examples. If you can list some from pretty easy to hard that would be great.

thanks guys.

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

Scit Scat Wah - Racer X

and

Scarified - Racer X

edit: Incontrol by Vinnie Moore is hard as {censored}.

hundreds of thousands by Macalpine

ok, thanks man, but what do these songs contain. Good alternate picking parts? legato?

And i don't just mean songs that contain all 4 techniques in the one song. I just want good examples used in songs so i can practice them with a metronome.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by LIAR-502

ok, thanks man, but what do these songs contain. Good alternate picking parts? legato?

And i don't just mean songs that contain all 4 techniques in the one song. I just want good examples used in songs so i can practice them with a metronome.

thanks

well...

Scit Scat Wah:

-Intro is all harmonized String Skipping, then there's some pretty intense alternate picking... make sure to start slow with that song!

Scarified: Wide stretches, TIGHT alternate picking... some sweeping, and some String skipping on the end...

http://kyle.neopages.net/racerxvideos/scarifiedarvin.wmv

that's Scarified with Bruce Bouillet and Chris Arivn... but you might wanna check out the one from 2004 with paul playing it alone in band... INSANE stringskipping on the end! :eek:

In Control - Vinnie Moore:

this song has the most metronom tight playing of them all... I can't even get through the opening riff.. :/ that song is all about alternate picking and some sweeps in the chorus...and some legato in the solo

Hundreds of Thousands - Macalpine:

fast tune.. mainly alternate picking and some sweeping through the whole song

and I can add Smoke and Mirrors - Symphony X:

the intro is all sweep picking ;)

super tight alternate rhythm guitar, and tappin/sweeping/legato/alternate in the solo :)

• Members

For alternate picking and string skipping: Technical Difficulties by Racer X (song title = album title, released 2000).

(I can also send you the TAB's from Paul Gilberts Intense Rock I & II. PM me.)

For legato: definitely Brett Garsed (http://www.brettgarsed.com). Check the site. He did some great demo's for MI and THD. You can get the mp3's there.

Sweeping: Frank Gambale's records from the 1990's. Also: on his video Monster Licks and Speed Picking he explains his approach -- or system if you like. Very effective but will take time to get used to.

Archived