Solid State or Valve?

jjacksonboogie

• Members

I am about to buy a new amp and am unsure wether to go for a solid state combo, valve one or a valvestate type. I'm after a fairly decent clean channel but mainly clarity and crunch from the overdrive from the amp or when I run my Shredmaster -> Boogie V-twin combination through it. My guitar is a Jackson Soloist Pro HSS.

I would like it to sound decent at both low (practice) and high volume (small gig venues)

I know I'm after a lot!!! but I would be greatful for any suggestions!!!!

Ta

Personally, i'd get a 30w solid state combo.

If you're getting most of your sound from the pedals you don't have to worry about having multiple channels on it.

If you go tube you might have trouble at lower volumes. Something like a 2x12 Spider could be good.

• Members

I think most people here will tell you go with valve.

But let me say that I've recently been using a LAney GC60. It's a 2x10 combo with chorus. It has a rich...somewhat dark sound that takes some of the SS anoyances out. I also use a Vox Tonelab SE, which gives the amp character.

In the H-C reviews, one proposed that it has a "torroid transformer" which a tube amp uses, giving it some tube amp characteristics. Not sure about that...

But I wll say it makes a GREAT practice amp, and can be used for rehearsals AND gigs in many circumstances. The two 10 inch speakers disperse the sound well.

• Members

Are you kidding? 95% of the people on this forum will say valve (tube). Since you are new to the forum, I should tell you that there probably 500+ threads on this already. But, I can save you a bunch of time reading and tell you just start looking at the valve amps :):D:)

Peavey classic 30 - all around good low priced tube amp

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - all around good low priced with a blusy feel and killer cleans at lower vols - dirty clean loud

Peavey XXX - cheaper version of the Mesa Dual Rectifier which is a really good high gain amp

Peavy Twin reverb - legendary clean amp

Marshall 800, JTM, 900, Plexi - classic marshall amps

Marshall TSL, DSL modern marshalls

Peavy 5150 - low price classic high gain amp without much clean

• Members

I am about to buy a new amp and am unsure wether to go for a solid state combo, valve one or a valvestate type.

Big question, to answer this it helps to know your budget, type of music (guess Metal) and whether you play in a band or not.

Also do you mean you only need clean form the amp because you've got those pedals or do you need the amp to overdrive?

• Members

Originally posted by jjacksonboogie

I am about to buy a new amp and am unsure wether to go for a solid state combo, valve one or a valvestate type.

Wrong question. When buying an amp, you should base it on what pleases your ear. If you get the sounds that you want out of it, it doesn't matter what type of amp it is.

Great sounds= Great sounds.

;)

• Members

Thanks for all your comments.

I play a lot of heavy rock (not metal)

Radiohead, Killers, Nirvana etc.

I would like the amp to have a good overdrive channel to give me more options but I guess it is not essential.

Also do you think 30W would be loud enough for smallish gigs pubs etc????

My budget depends on how good the amp sounds!!!! Credit's a great thing!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

If you're getting most of your sound from the pedals you don't have to worry about having multiple channels on it.

If you go tube you might have trouble at lower volumes. Something like a 2x12 Spider could be good.

+1

Don't forget that tube amps require a lot more maintenance. Tubes don't last that long and regularly need replacing. This is not cheap.

I'd look at Roland & Vox.

• Members

I'd be inclined to go for a basic 30W valve amp. - Peavey classic 30 is a goode bet.

Just because the primary distortion is coming from pedals it doesn't mean that it won't sound better through a valve power section.

.Prices vary greatly depending on where you are so it's good to let people know in the location field - ie. in the UK Marshall and Laney are probably better buys than they are in the US (as everything is really expensive here!!) etc etc.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

+2

• Members

Definitely audition a few different ones, preferably with the Jackson, Shredmaster, and V-Twin on hand so you know what *your* setup would sound like. I personally have always prefered a tube power section. I used to run a Peavey VTX 2x12 (solid state preamp, tube (6L6) power amp) with a Sansamp GT2 and loved it. If you're going to use the V-Twin for your preamp something like this might be an ideal setup for you if you want to go tube but want to keep it inexpensive.

Another idea is that if you get all your preamp sounds from the v-twin then maybe a powered cab like the Tech 21 Power Engine might be an interesting idea for you. It's a 1x12 60W amp with no preamp section.

Good luck!

Matt

• Members
Originally posted by walfordr

+1

Don't forget that tube amps require a lot more maintenance. Tubes don't last that long and regularly need replacing. This is not cheap.

Spoken with true ignorance. Let me guess,you heard that somewhere. I'm not saying to get one or the other but I just don't want someone seeking knowledge to believe something just because "someone" said it.

• Members
Originally posted by jjacksonboogie

I am about to buy a new amp and am unsure wether to go for a solid state combo, valve one or a valvestate type. I'm after a fairly decent clean channel but mainly clarity and crunch from the overdrive from the amp or when I run my Shredmaster -> Boogie V-twin combination through it. My guitar is a Jackson Soloist Pro HSS.

I would like it to sound decent at both low (practice) and high volume (small gig venues)

I know I'm after a lot!!! but I would be greatful for any suggestions!!!!

Ta

If you want something for very little money that sounds far better than it has a right to,the little Guitar Research half-stack hybrid is decent. Or a Vox AD 30 or 50. As for smaller tube combos,Peavey Bravo,C20,C30,Delta Blues,H&K Edition Tube 20,Crate Vintage Club 20,30,and the newer V-series,Rev Hellhound,Seymour Duncan 84-40,Bedrock 600 Series,Carvin X-Series,Laney TT20,VC30,LC30,George Dennis Blue Beetle,Mighty Mouse are goo choices.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Spoken with true ignorance. Let me guess,you heard that somewhere. I'm not saying to get one or the other but I just don't want someone seeking knowledge to believe something just because "someone" said it.

Ooh er, Mr Grumpy's woken up I see!

Let me guess, you couldn't find an beginners question to ridicule, so decided to try me.

Now,

1) do you disagree that tube amps have a higher cost of ownership than SS? If so then please explain.

2) do you disagree that both Roland and Vox make good SS amps? If so then please explain why you don't believe that.

You clearly have some knowledge and experience, but your manner is reminiscent of an elderly gentleman with an uncomfortable rectal problem. Lighten up and contribute! :)

• Members

Depends on the amp and usage. I have had tube amps go a few years before needing any new tubes. Some of the amps are also just plug and play, so it's relativley easy for somebody who's handy to do it themselves.

They're both nice sounding amps. I'd give the nod to Roland for long term durability though.;)

• Members

I'll back you up on this tl...

I have a '65 Fender Twin Reverb with the same tubes for 20 years. I *ELECTED* to have some caps and other stuff changed to original specs. I only recently had a couple preamp tubes blow, so I'm going to replace the tube set. $109 from Eurotubes. I will check on biasing...but that around $50 if I can't do it myself.

So about $160 in 20 years... (not counting the elective work I had done). I realize this is probably abnormal. I take VERY good care of it (I don't roll it across a parking lot, for example), and I don't neccessrily tour the world either. And a little luck too. But still...

I will say however that it doesn't mean he HAS to get a valve amp. There are many good alternatives. I agree with whoever said you should somehow arrange for a demo. Use it with your gear and your surrounding. Most stores/on-line have a return policy.... maybe out shipping. If you get it used eBay style, don't overbid and you should be able toget you rmoney back. Be patient.

• Members

Originally posted by Tele The Truth

Depends on the amp and usage. I have had tube amps go a few years before needing any new tubes. Some of the amps are also just plug and play, so it's relativley easy for somebody who's handy to do it themselves.

Yes, but (all) most tube amps will need their power tubes every few years. SS amps do not need their output transistors replacing every few years. This may not be important for everyone, but it is a factor worth considering if you're trying to decide between the two.

Edit: Just saw other post!

• Members

Ooh er, Mr Grumpy's woken up I see!

Let me guess, you couldn't find an beginners question to ridicule, so decided to try me.

Now,

1) do you disagree that tube amps have a higher cost of ownership than SS? If so then please explain.

2) do you disagree that both Roland and Vox make good SS amps? If so then please explain why you don't believe that.

You clearly have some knowledge and experience, but your manner is reminiscent of an elderly gentleman with an uncomfortable rectal problem. Lighten up and contribute!
:)

Too strong for this early in the morn?:p It night for me since I just got off from work. #1? I can't disagree with this statement although if you do have a problem with a SS amp you won't be able to simply throw a new preamp tube or set of power tubes in and many times cure the problem w/o even paying for shop time. And if it is simply a tube,you can swap one out on the spot at a gig. If anything dies on a SS amp,it is down until you get it opened up and do some searching. So,I'll concede on tube amps requiring a little money perhaps in maintenance,but not necessarily in actual ownership if you compare the difference between putting in a preamp tube,etc in a tube amp vs having to take a SS amp into the shop. The main reason it hit me is because initially you said "a lot more maintenance",which is a great exaggeration,IMO. My main stage amp is about 4 1/2 years old and recently got its third set of power tubes,meaning I've now replaced them twice. So,for under $80 total for the two sets,I've played 80-110 4-hour shows since I get the amp. Doesn't seem to bad to me.

As for #2,I haven't heard a good sounding totally SS Vox amp yet. I do like the Cambridges and the Valvetronix models,tonewise. As for Roland and especially Tech 21,the quality is fine but the tone leaves something to be desired.

• Members

Too strong for this early in the morn?
:p
It night for me since I just got off from work.

Na, afternoon for me - I'm in Europe! Sorry for the assumption :)

#1? I can't disagree with this statement although if you do have a problem with a SS amp you won't be able to simply throw a new preamp tube or set of power tubes in and many times cure the problem w/o even paying for shop time. And if it is simply a tube,you can swap one out on the spot at a gig. If anything dies on a SS amp,it is down until you get it opened up and do some searching. So,I'll concede on tube amps requiring a little money perhaps in maintenance,but not necessarily in actual ownership if you compare the difference between putting in a preamp tube,etc in a tube amp vs having to take a SS amp into the shop. The main reason it hit me is because initially you said "a lot more maintenance",which is a great exaggeration,IMO. My main stage amp is about 4 1/2 years old and recently got its third set of power tubes,meaning I've now replaced them twice. So,for under $80 total for the two sets,I've played 80-110 4-hour shows since I get the amp. Doesn't seem to bad to me.

OK. We pretty much agree.

As for #2,I haven't heard a good sounding totally SS Vox amp yet. I do like the Cambridges and the Valvetronix models,tonewise. As for Roland and especially Tech 21,the quality is fine but the tone leaves something to be desired.

I also think Vox probably currently has the best modelling technology, but as he already has a pre-amp he's no need for that. If you want a power amp/speaker then Roland's are good value. I use one on the back of a Korg processor and it works great!

Archived