Need Amp Help for jazz, jazz fusion, rock

red|dragon

• Members

- Needs to be around $500-600

- I have an archtop and I need those jazz sounds

- I have a solidbody tele also and need those mike stern, greg howe sounds

- I want a bluesy sound

- most importantly, I'm looking for 1 amp that can do everything. Not too big. $500-600, has enough power to cut through playing with like a trio or something. I want to be able to cut distortion on every once in a while, but i still want to get those smooth clean jazz sounds...

thanks guys

• Members

My choices would be a if you want a tube amp, Classic 30, if you're into some amp OD, or if you plan on a foot pedal for the OD maybe a Deluxe Reverb, or a Blues Jr. But for Jazz and super clean stuff a Roland JC 50 or a Cube 60 may do it. Another one out there is Traynor, which has a few nice tube amps and they are pretty good, but I don't see many people with them. In the '70's they were called the "working man's Fender" and their version of the Twin Reverb was a very good amp, but I don't think anyone bought them. :p I only sold 2 in my store in the 70's, returned the rest.

• Members

Originally posted by mdog114

Blues Jr.

IMO the Blues Jr. is a very one dimensional sound and would not be a good amp at all for fusion....I would go with an older Deluxe Reverb. I agree with the early traynor assessment above; my 71 traynor guitarmate kicks serious ass for jazz tones and is a very dynamic tonefull amp for rock/fusion/blues.

• Members

It's a little out of your price range, but you'd be very pleased with a Rivera Suprema 55 I think. That's what I use for fusion/hard rock stuff.

It's El34 based, and the dirt channel is very rich, Plexi-like. The clean channel is very Fendery, and the clean channel boost is great for jazz/blues. Reverb too, and comes in a 1x12 combo.

Save up for a little while longer and check one out.

• Members

Alan Holdsworth uses Yamaha DG series amps live and gets some serious clean and fusion tone out of them. They pop up on eBay every so often and usually sell pretty cheap - and they are really loud for a SS amp. I used to own DG80, and rarely had the volume over 2 live. Only reason I sold it was I needed a Fenderish clean (it don't do that well) - and it was too heavy for me and my bad back.

Tubewise - anything EL34ish would work great...

• Members

Portability is an issue. I need something portable.

So I made a list of amps below....

- Polytone MiniBrute II - Perfect for clean tones, but not good at all for distortion

- Roland Cube60 - Very versatile, but it's digital sound?

- Fender Deluxe Reverb - I played through one at the music store and loved it

- Mesa Boogie - something... Someone told me they get great jazz tones from Boogies, but is that what they are really made for? Which models should I check out?

So what do you guys think?

Remember -

- Nothing more than around $600
- Needs to be portable
- I need to be able to buy it brand new
- I need clean tones like Wes and Jim Hall (I have an archtop)
- I need to be able to turn on the distortion sometimes for Mike Stern, Greg Howe, Scott Henderson, Kurt Rosenwinkel sounds (I have a solidbody guitar)
- I need enough power to cut through while playing with a band

I don't know what a modeling amp is and I know absolutly nothing about tube amps.

Archived