high-end instrument cable recommendations?

andyhumb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by danbronson

i use planetwaves because they sound good and they're durable as hell. apparently george lynchs are awesome, but they don't seem that reliable to me.

i have yet to do a big a/b test on cables though.

Hes only going to respond by saying:

Originally posted by andyhumb

yeah, those cables are great to trees together in my yard, but I need cables for music

:rolleyes:

Take Care

• Members

I am going to tell you as...an "average joe", admittedly..

Just buy a decent cable. Not the most expensive, but not the least either.

Now..TAKE CARE OF IT! Don't step on it, wind it tight, rip it out of jacks. I've had $20 cables last me years of real-world use. Tone? Well, whatever. Lots of stuff effects your tone.

But go ahead. Give Monster Cable all yer money.

• Members

every time there's a thread like this, every single person says that something different is the best cable.

there's dozens of different high quality cable brands out there. just pick one and ignore it till someone tries EVERY one out and says that one brand is clearly superior.

• Members

every time there's a thread like this, every single person says that something different is the best cable.

there's dozens of different high quality cable brands out there. just pick one and ignore it till someone tries EVERY one out and says that one brand is clearly superior.

+1

Just buy a good cable and take care of it. You should be able to buy at "good" 18' cab;e for 20-25 bucks at Sam Ash, MF or other on-line store.

I don't think there's a huge difference in tone from one "decent" cable to another.

• Members

Originally posted by andyhumb

I've heard good things about the CBI cables, seems like that is what he carries

CBI has an excellent product. Belden wire and G&H ends. They have the standard quality and custom high end stuff too. The prices are very reasonable.

Jerry

• Members

i guess it just matters what's really important to you. how much do you care about tone and reliability versus money?

This is laughable. When you play out live, you're not going to know the difference. Just get a decent mid-range priced cable and quit your cork-sniffing.

Even in the studio if you have a clean signal (which even cheap ass Guitar Center cables can deliver), you can EQ your sound to taste.

Hell, just look at the evidence audio website's product demo's against monster cables - http://www.evidenceaudio.com/productdemo.html

Do you honestly think you'll be able to tell the difference when you've added other factors like drums, room echo, etc... ? {censored} no.

• Members

For me, reliability is one of the biggest issues. Everybody seems to think that the Monster lifetime warranty is great...but they have all shorted out on me. I say F the lifetime warranty...give me a cable that won't fail on me when I'm beating the {censored} out of it on the road.

Archived