Peavey 412 with sheffields

cincy

• Members

What model Sheffields are in the cab?

People always rag on the Sheffields but here's my limited experience with them. I have Peavey's 112SX 1x12 cab. I bought it cheap as a lighter weight alternative to my 2x12. It has a 1230 Sheffield in it. The cab will do open or closed. It sounds good when the back is open and I have my amp (Mark IV) cranked. I prefer my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab though, that's for sure.

• Members

I'm not sure. You could take the head to a music store and try some different type cabs...or to a friends house and try his speaker cab???

I noticed from your other post you're not sure if you are dialing the amp in right, need new tubes, need diff speakers, or a new guitar either probably by now.

Download the manual from Mesa Boogie's website first and read it. Also do searches on the forum on settings. I had to be patient with my Mark IV when I got it. Be patient, that amp is killer and you will unlock the sounds. The Mark's are incredible...all of them.

• Members

First..your running a Mrk3 into a "metal" cab.The Shefields arnt the cleanest speakers.I have a 5150 cab/shefields and a Marshall Bottom with V30s..the V30s sound MUCH cleaner then the Shefileds..you have a "hairy" sounding amp..with a hairy sounding cab..( dont know how else to put it )..You need to either run a new set of Pre's or a different cab..
or pull out the EL34 and try a set of 6l6s in there..

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

First..your running a Mrk3 into a "metal" cab.The Shefields arnt the cleanest speakers.I have a 5150 cab/shefields and a Marshall Bottom with V30s..the V30s sound MUCH cleaner then the Shefileds..you have a "hairy" sounding amp..with a hairy sounding cab..( dont know how else to put it )..You need to either run a new set of Pre's or a different cab..

or pull out the EL34 and try a set of 6l6s in there..

I don't think it's the cab. I get good sound with the single probably lower end than what's in his cab Sheffield I have in my cab.

I don't think he'sfamiar enough with the amp yet most probably.

• Members
Originally posted by dughaze

I don't think it's the cab. I get good sound with the single probably lower end than what's in his cab Sheffield I have in my cab.

I don't think he'sfamiar enough with the amp yet most probably.

not cab..speakers.They are hairy sounding and if you have a really clean cab.you can tell when you swap back and forth..at least I did.
I would love one of those over sized Mesa cabs..;)

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

not cab..speakers.They are hairy sounding and if you have a really clean cab.you can tell when you swap back and forth..at least I did.

I would love one of those over sized Mesa cabs..
;)

When I say cab here I'm meaning the speakers too. I'm thinking the problem is not Cincy's speakers or cab but either the dials or tubes. I don't think he's after a clean sound unless I missed something. I just read he's having trouble with the amp sound itself but if it is going to be mainly for cleans then you're right those are not going to be as good as some others.

The Recto cab is great for me. I like the thump it gets but did you know it weighs freakin 75 lbs? for a 2x12?

Archived