Help please,speaker question!

CFC

• Members

I just bought another 4x12 but when i got it home one of the speakers didnt work, the guy i got the cab from has sent me a brand new speaker but its a celestion v30 16 ohm,the others are g12t-75s 16ohm.can i put this in and if so will it change the sound dramatically?

• Members

as long as the ohms are correct, you can use it. A v30 is a different sounding speaker but it's cool to mix them. Alot of guys including me will arrange a cross pattern with different speakers for tonal reasons. I'm no expert but i'm pretty sure it's cool as long as the ohms are the same.

• Members

The V30 will be more 'mid'-prominent and the G12T75 more 'scooped'. I doubt there will be much volume difference between the 2 although the V30 may be a touch louder. Check the SPL on Celestion's web-site. Personally I think the V30's match the G12T75's well. I have played a Marshall 1922 Cab with G12's with my TSL (Century Vintages) and they went together well.

• Members

A lot of people will say that vintage thirtys, though great speakers, dont work well in pairs on their own.

Ive heard many cabs loaded with V30s. I happen to like the open back cabs the best, 3/4 open back i believe played through a marshall jcm800 2204.

The vintage 30's are said to shine when they are coupled with speakers that will fill out the brightness that the v30 has so much of, and add more body to it.

Just my .02$

• Members

the g75t will sound slightly brighter and tighter, and the v30s are smoother and darker sounding, thats my experince playing the same head into differnt cabs with those speakers, they're both good speakers, on the Marshall TSL122 they have one heratage and one V30 speaker, and they sound good togther

Archived