Jensen Alnico V P15R speaker info

Robs Rockin Out

• Members

Hello forum!

This is my first post on here, and its a question to anyone who has come into contact with a specific make of Jensen speaker.

P15R Jensens.

What I know thus far about them is that they are 14 watt handling speakers. (I dont know if that is RMS or max load.) I also Know they are either 16 ohms or 8 ohms, or I suspect so from seeing others adverized as such. These speakers were discontinued in the 1950s, jensen told me it was 1958. I got the pair, perfect condition, from a man I know for 20 dollars. So even if they are junk, they were worth the 20 dollars, seeing that they are almost 50 years old, mold free, tear free, and rust free on the pressed sheet metal. (that and they sell for 200$+ on ebay. But I dont plan on selling these.

I'm wondering. What would you do with speakers like this?! I'm tempted to build a cab for them and run them as an extension cab for my original Pignose G40V (old model form the 80's, totally worth the 200 bucks if you can find one.)

Thanks a lot for any infoirmation on these speakers at all! The voice coil is about 1" in diameter, so 14 watts would make sense, and they say Alnico V on them.

• Members

First you need to find out what ohms they are.

If I had 'em, and they were 8 ohms, I'd put 'em together parallel(4 ohms) and power 'em with my Vibrochamp.

If they were 16 ohms, I'd do the same (8 ohms) and power 'em with my YCV20.

• Members

That'll work. Just make sure to use the 4 ohm output jack, and I wouldn't crank it up past 6 or 7.

Or you could pick up two more 8 ohm speakers and run series/parallel for an 8 ohm load - that should cover your 40w's.

Look on ebay for another pair.

• Members

I have a `57 P15R, don't use it for anything but want to build a cab for it someday. I'd like to see it in a tweed Tremolux cab being powered by a 5F1 Champ circuit.

I'd say that 14w rating no longer applies to the cone if original. The paper is nearly 50 years old and while it may not have tears, it's probably not that strong any more. Might want to consider doping if you intend on using it.

Cool that you found a pair for $20 - I see them go on ebay for $15 - $30 all the time. They're just not powerful enough to handle larger loads and command a higher price like a P15N, or have as many applications available as a P12R.

• Members

I dont know... the P15N only handles 20 watts. I dont doubt its usefullness. but 6 watts isnt a lot of difference.

I do plan on using these somehow. they are very sweet sounging. I might even put them in my Princeton Stereo Chorus, at 14 watts, they would drive nicely with its 2x25 load at 8ohms.

I tried them in it last night, they didnt break up very much, even at full tilt on the amp. I dont know what that is about. Maybe the 14 watts rating was meant for back in the days when ALL amplifiers were made with power tubes.

Powertubes, compared to a tranny, clip much higher and thus have a greater volume output.

Maybe todays ratings on wattage dont apply to this early 1958 speaker?

Thoughts?

Archived