mesa stilleto & JCM800

keith335

• Members

Well, I've got my JCM800 sounding pretty darn good now. Sometimes it is the litle things. I changed to using a monster speaker cable and pluged amp dirrectly into grounded outlet----before I had to run an extention chord to amp's power chord.

It is pure guitar tone with a slight brake up. No where near the gain I still need; however, this amp is the amp for a purist for sure.

My question is that I really believe for those who love a JCM800 and want a bit more gain the logical amp to get is none other than the Mesa Stilleto. EL34 driven amp. Very versatile amp with I'm guessing without going back and looking it up that it has one maybe two more pre amp tubes than the JCM800. I'm wondering if this would be a great amp to AB with the 800, or are you just killing the 800. Is the reason you use an 800 so you can hear the pure 800 tone. I was considering AB ing 800 with Avenger. To me the Avenger needs another amp to open up your tone a bit. The Avenger is a tad too compressed to me.

Feedback please.

• Members

Stilleto doesn't get alot of love here... but I thought it was a great amp when I tried one.

It's still a Mesa though, with nice cutting mid crunch similar to Marshalls and definitely has alot of gain compared to JCM800.

Did you try running a SD-1 with your JCM800? that's what most people do with the amp when they need more gain.

• Members

Well I haven't actually played a JCM 800 myself but I have heard them enough times to know the Stilletto doesn't sound anything like it. I have played most every other Marshall out there and they don't sound anything like them either. The Stilletto imho is a great amp in it's own right and like the Marshalls does very well with a boost in front. I think a lot of people don't dig the Stilletto because they expect it to sound like a Marshall and it just doesn't.

• Members

I liked the Stilleto...but not quite as much as a JCM800. To me, the JCM has a "bigger" or more "open" sound to it. The Stilleto has a pretty nice clean channel, but the gain channel isn't quite what my ear wanted to hear. In the Stilleto, there is a tone in the really upper mid registers that I just couldn't quite dial out...and it gave me ear fatigue. The JCM was/is smoother to my ears...but does need an added boost of some sort to push it over the top. I have a Keeley modded SD-1, which is great...but for $40 I just bought a Bad Monkey...which I love. For some reason, all overdrive pedals have this serious mid-honk to them...even the Keeley....but the Bad Monkey allows you to tame it with the bass and treble controls. Hitting the front of the JCM with the BM and using an EQ in the loop as a solo boost is all I need...give it whirl and see what you think.

• Members

Keith335, Try the 800 with an overdrive pedal. I've read the other threads etc, where people are saying "Why use a 40.00 pedal in front of an expensive amplifier..." etc. Reason? It works. One thing about Marshalls, is that they take pedals better than just about ANY amp out there. Maybe it's the simplicity of the design, maybe it's the voicing, I don't know for sure, but one thing I DO know, and Millions of people have come to the same conclusion, Marshalls love pedals. Before you spend 300-800.00 trading an amp, why not try a 35.00 SD-1 or Bad Monkey in front of it first?

• Members

Agreed, I won't be trading in and up as one guitar dealer likes to call it. they wanted my amp which is a 1900 amp everywhere pluss 7 hundred. I probably wouldn't even do an even stephen trade.

People don't like the Stilleto because it doesn't sound like other mesas not because it doesn't sound like a marshall. I like the Stilleto a lot. I love the Rectoverb.

I am going to be putting a pedal in front and it is going to be a Fulltone OCD. It is in transit as we speak. I may even run a RC booster after I get a Fulltone Chorus/flange and a way pedal.

Now the Avenger is another monster all to itself.

• Members

Originally posted by keith335

Well, I've got my JCM800 sounding pretty darn good now. Sometimes it is the litle things. I changed to using a monster speaker cable and pluged amp dirrectly into grounded outlet----before I had to run an extention chord to amp's power chord.

It is pure guitar tone with a slight brake up. No where near the gain I still need; however, this amp is the amp for a purist for sure.

My question is that I really believe for those who love a JCM800 and want a bit more gain the logical amp to get is none other than the Mesa Stilleto. EL34 driven amp. Very versatile amp with I'm guessing without going back and looking it up that it has one maybe two more pre amp tubes than the JCM800. I'm wondering if this would be a great amp to AB with the 800, or are you just killing the 800. Is the reason you use an 800 so you can hear the pure 800 tone. I was considering AB ing 800 with Avenger. To me the Avenger needs another amp to open up your tone a bit. The Avenger is a tad too compressed to me.

Feedback please.

dude, order a digitech bad monkey, for like $30. It works very well as a boost with the jcm 800. I love mine.

Archived