Quick Grounding Question

StevieRaveOn

• Members

Hey guys,

I just wanted to pop in and double check this before I head out to a show... I'm having some crappy grounding problems A/B'ing two amps, but all's well when I run just one without my rack delay. So, I'm wondering if I should pull the ground plugs off of all but one of the pieces to see if that helps? From what I've read on here, it should be safe, but I'm trying to still figure out if I have a fault in one of the pieces that doesn't have a ground plug, what goes on... I'm assuming their grounded through the audio cables to the one grounded amp, but that sounds a little shady to me during fault conditions.

Just looking for some advice, peace.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

it's easier and safer to just un-ground one end of whatever cables go to the second amp.

Sorry for the crappy description, that's what I was wanting to do. Just wanted to double check since the ground is a safety measure.

• Members

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Sorry for the crappy description, that's what I was wanting to do. Just wanted to double check since the ground is a safety measure.

not the power cables, the signal cables. disconnect the ground from one end (doesn't matter which end) of each *signal* cable connected to the second amp.

don't mess with the ground pin on the power cables.

• Members

not the power cables, the signal cables. disconnect the ground from one end (doesn't matter which end) of each *signal* cable connected to the second amp.

don't mess with the ground pin on the power cables.

Oh, ok, thanks for the heads up... I might have to get some new cables for that, I'm using a George L and dunno if I can pull it... I guess I could just back the screw out, huh?

• Members

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Oh, ok, thanks for the heads up... I might have to get some new cables for that, I'm using a George L and dunno if I can pull it... I guess I could just back the screw out, huh?

yeah, with GL, you can just snip the end a bit and put them back together without tightening the screw much... but they'll be very delicate. some tape/glue/etc. might be needed to keep them from coming apart.

the best plugs for doing this are the neutrik compression plugs. they grip the cable very securely without putting any of the structural strain on the electrical connections, so regardless of whether the cable is soldered to the terminals or not, they're always rock-solid.

• Members

yeah, with GL, you can just snip the end a bit and put them back together without tightening the screw much... but they'll be very delicate. some tape/glue/etc. might be needed to keep them from coming apart.

the best plugs for doing this are the neutrik compression plugs. they grip the cable very securely without putting any of the structural strain on the electrical connections, so regardless of whether the cable is soldered to the terminals or not, they're always rock-solid.

Cool, thanks again for all the info man. Does lifting the ground affect the sound any?

Archived