25/50 watts Jubilee 1987

Zoidberg

• Members

I've found a guy that wants to sell his, but that's on the other side of the country so I've got no chance to try it out..

What can you tell me about it?

Versatility, cleans, etc..

Will use it mainly in a classic rock coverband, playing stuff like Scorpions, Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake..

But I'm also playing in the local YMCA-band, and then it's bit less gainy stuff.. :p

Can the amp handle a bit cleaner stuff?

- Jon-A

:)

• Members

the Jubilee is one of my fav marshalls. It is one of the higher gain marshalls made in that era - think typical GnR tone.

I used to have one and regret selling it. It does have a weird gain structure though, a gain control for both channels and then another input gain control which affects both. So you can either have a dirty clean and high gain OD, or crystal clean and moderate OD. There is also a rhythmn clip control that you pull out for more drive.

If it is a good price then I'd say go for it, esp for stuff like TL, Scorpions etc. They are pretty rare these days

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

the Jubilee is one of my fav marshalls. It is one of the higher gain marshalls made in that era - think typical GnR tone.

I used to have one and regret selling it. It does have a weird gain structure though, a gain control for both channels and then another input gain control which affects both. So you can either have a dirty clean and high gain OD, or crystal clean and moderate OD. There is also a rhythmn clip control that you pull out for more drive.

If it is a good price then I'd say go for it, esp for stuff like TL, Scorpions etc. They are pretty rare these days

Sounds like I'm in for some tweaking then, but that's fun :D:cool:

Well, it's a good price in Norwegian standards, I'd say..

Someone snagged a DSL from under my nose this week, so if the same happens now I'll be down.. Better act quick, I think! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

IMHO, It should work perfect for what you'll be doing. Stick a set of Siemens EL34's in it, and you'll {censored} yourself.
:D

I have been playing the JCM 800a for many years now including the 25/50 2555 Model Jubilee:

A little Info for you BOUT THIS AMP AND WHY you should buy it!

Marshall Jubille 25/50:

Diode circuitwas immensely improved upon. Also, Marshall spent a lot of time with Pre-amp tone stage and it shows !

IN its stock form this Jubilee rekindles the tones of the earl vintage circa Marshalls and also NAILS the HIgh Gain Modern tone stage as well.!

After I think (DOnt qoute me on it!) about 1987, Marshall came out with the second model JUBILEE which was the the model you are vurrently looking at - the 25/50 2555. The earlier version was the 50/100 watter. Both models burned down stages across the world and on many a tour back in the 80s as many top name gui8tar players used them.

I think the Slash Model head with the Slash logo is basically the same schematic as the Jubilee as well. I have actually been looking for a SLashg model myself. I read an article somewhere online recently that mentioned the "Slah model" to be IDENTICAL to the Jubilee's!

I say go for it. Is it an Ebay auction. IF not see what kind of feedback this guy has anyway for his ebay items he has sold in the past (THat is if hes an Ebayer! )

Good Luck and I would give this amp a 8.5 out of 10)

-1.5 for the 3 caps and PCB-mount pote and jacks (ALthough I am unsure the PCB affected anything for I love the sond of the amop anyway! I never give any ampa ten! FOr me to give an 8.5 id like another person saying 11 out of 10! LOL!

CONS FIRST:

I.Only 3 Powercaps as the 87-91 JCM 800s (need not worry about that though..ill expalin ..read on.)

PROS:

II. Diode Circuit IMMENSELY IMPROVED with beautiful harmonic content .

III. Extremely Well Designed PreampTone Stage

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

+1 on the weird gain structure. It can be a pain to dial in and it has taken some time to get used to. However its got a wonder distortion, it does 80's metal to a T. The clean is pretty good, although its difficult to get the clean sound to match the distortion sound as the channels are very intermingled. My 2553 is modded to help with this, but its still tough.

I would go for it.

• Members

They came out with all versions at the same time.

2555 100 watts

2550 50 watts

2553 50 watts small box

2554 50 watts combo

2558 50 watts 2x12 combo

There may have been a 100 watt 2x12 combo as well, but I don't remember. It may have been the 2556, but I think that's the number of the 2x12 cabs that match the 2553. There's also the Mini stack, which is the same as the other Micro stacks that they still sell, but with Silver tolex.

I've had Two 2553's, a 2555, and currently have a 2555. They've all been killer amps.

• Members

Originally posted by Daneswede1

I have been playing the JCM 800a for many years now including the 25/50 2555 Model Jubilee:

A little Info for you BOUT THIS AMP AND WHY you should buy it!

Marshall Jubille 25/50:

Diode circuitwas immensely improved upon. Also, Marshall spent a lot of time with Pre-amp tone stage and it shows !

IN its stock form this Jubilee rekindles the tones of the earl vintage circa Marshalls and also NAILS the HIgh Gain Modern tone stage as well.!

After I think (DOnt qoute me on it!) about 1987, Marshall came out with the second model JUBILEE which was the the model you are vurrently looking at - the 25/50 2555. The earlier version was the 50/100 watter. Both models burned down stages across the world and on many a tour back in the 80s as many top name gui8tar players used them.

I think the Slash Model head with the Slash logo is basically the same schematic as the Jubilee as well. I have actually been looking for a SLashg model myself. I read an article somewhere online recently that mentioned the "Slah model" to be IDENTICAL to the Jubilee's!

I say go for it. Is it an Ebay auction. IF not see what kind of feedback this guy has anyway for his ebay items he has sold in the past (THat is if hes an Ebayer! )

Good Luck and I would give this amp a 8.5 out of 10)

-1.5 for the 3 caps and PCB-mount pote and jacks (ALthough I am unsure the PCB affected anything for I love the sond of the amop anyway! I never give any ampa ten! FOr me to give an 8.5 id like another person saying 11 out of 10! LOL!

CONS FIRST:

I.Only 3 Powercaps as the 87-91 JCM 800s (need not worry about that though..ill expalin ..read on.)

PROS:

II. Diode Circuit IMMENSELY IMPROVED with beautiful harmonic content .

III. Extremely Well Designed PreampTone Stage

Thanks for the long helpful post! :):cool:

it's not an eBay auction, BTW ;)

I've talked to the seller now, and put in a bid.. another guy is interested too, hope this doesn't turn into a bidding war..

*crosses fingers*

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

They came out with all versions at the same time.

2555 100 watts

2550 50 watts

2553 50 watts small box

2554 50 watts combo

2558 50 watts 2x12 combo

There may have been a 100 watt 2x12 combo as well, but I don't remember. It may have been the 2556, but I think that's the number of the 2x12 cabs that match the 2553. There's also the Mini stack, which is the same as the other Micro stacks that they still sell, but with Silver tolex.

I've had Two 2553's, a 2555, and currently have a 2555. They've all been killer amps.

Really? I read somewhere that the 100 watt model was first to hit the production line. THis could have been misinformation though. THanks for the correction.

• Members

I bought a 2555 Slash new, sold it, then bought it back. I also have a 1x12 combo. The Slash is supposed to be a faithful reissue of the 100w original. From what I have heard, I would have to agree.

The silver jubilee series sound GREAT. The mids are fat, the treb is very musical, and there is plenty of gain (relative to other older marshalls).

It takes very well to an SD1 for that high gain 80's sound.

The old silvers are very collectable.

All in all a great amp.

Archived