Engl Blackmore Issue

gearo999

• Members

This amp still rocks but I have one little nit pik about it.

The hard lead channel is a little quieter than the soft lead. I use the soft lead for most rhythem work and when I go to the lead channel I have to tap dance to the second volume control for a volume boost. I really need the volume to come up for leads since I'm in a two guitar band.

Anyone else notice this? Is there an internal adjusment for this? Schematics?

Derekb, any ideas?

• Members

I've got exactly the same problem. But I did notice, that if you select channel 4, and turn on the Contour, the volume-difference goes away. The only problem with this, is that you then have to turn Contour off, when switching back to either of the other channels. I find that pretty un-handy.

I've been thinking about doing some kind of modificatin to the Z-5, so that it would automatically turn Contour on, when I select channel 4, and then automatically turn Contour off, when selecting either of the other channels.

I was told by my country's distributer, that the only way around this (without tampering with the circuits), was to buy a Z-12 MIDI board and a Z11 MIDI-switcher, so that I could program it to automatically turn on the contour, whenever I select channel 4.

But I don't have the approx. $550 this costs in Denmark.

I'll open up the Z-5 tonight or tomorrow, and see if I can do anything to the circuit... Of course I'll get back to the forum if I figure something out.

• Members

Well, my situation is like this:

I use channel 3 for rythmsound on some songs, and channel 4 for rythm on other songs. I use master A for normal volume, and Master B for solos.

So that's why I need the same volume on both ch. 3 and 4.

Sometimes I need to switch from distorted rythm on ch. 4, directly to ch. 1 for clean. And in that case I would have to first switch Contour off, and then switch to ch. 1, in order to keep the volumes the same.

In most of our songs (80's heavy...pretty fast riffs), the tempo of the particular song doesn't allow me to do all this switching, so that's why I need to be able to only push one button, to get the sound.

I realize that MIDI seems like the only solution, but it would be very nice to be able to do this, witout having to spend another +500 bucks on a MIDI switcher.

Archived