Ruby 6L6GCMSTR vs. Ruby EL34BSTR in a Triple XXX

doomsdaymachine

• Members

I bought a new Triple XXX yesterday, and it came with Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's, and they sound pretty damn good. I put a JJ ECC83S in V1, GT Mullard in V2, and a balanced/graded JJ ECC803S in V4. Pretty smooth, yet raw and gritty.

I hear so much about the change for the better with EL34's, and am considering EL34BSTR's, or SED's, for a good. "woody" mid-range vibe.

I've dialed in some pretty good mids with my MXR 10-band in the loop, and matched with a G-Flex cab and Hotplate, I've got pretty good tone. Actually, DAMN good tone.

So, will EL34's be THAT much better, or should I just leave it alone??

• Members

When i changed the stock 6l6s that came in mine to SED EL34s it really did make a difference. It seemed to take the low end out just a tad but it made it a little fuller and clearer i guess. But with th low end you can just add some more in as it has plenty of bass already.

• Members

These 6L6's sound pretty damn good. I may leave 'em in for a bit.

I just played it for several hours - it really smokes!! I have NO idea why I overlooked these amps several times. I should have bought this instead of a JSX - It's more BRUTAL!!! BOTH distortion channels have more tone, IMO.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

aye i agree on these tubes!! i was on their website researching the info on the new 6l6, and its been in development for about two years. My new triple xxx has em now as well and i couldnt get over the tone right out of the box!! The headroom is amazing! yeah any amp will sound a little fizzy at lowvolumes especially 6l6s which have alot more presence but when you open up the amp thats where it really shines. Actually, the triple xxx is prolly the first amp ive ever played through at low volumes and it destroyed!! Mesas, marshalls will not impress any metalhead at LOW volumes gain wise.

• Members

Originally posted by napalmshower05

BOTH distortion channels have more tone, IMO.

More tone? Like a quantity? I'm confused...How can one have 'more' or 'less' tone? Tone deals with the quality of sound, not the...amount:confused: of it....

Or do you mean it's louder? I guess that would constitute "more tone"....

Steve

Archived