TSL100 help...i'm going to kill something right now...

cantoXIII

• Members

so i'm going to destroy something right now. i play my amp [marshall tsl100 head] everyday and last night my sound started to cut out and distort. today, at band practice, it completely cut out and isn't working anymore. at all. we changed cables and cabs and guitars, and the problem had to be the amp.

i've looked at it. all the tubes are working and everything is hooked up perfectly, ohm's correct, etc...

i'm getting no sound whatsoever. any ideas what it might be?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

so i'm going to destroy something right now. i play my amp [marshall tsl100 head] everyday and last night my sound started to cut out and distort. today, at band practice, it completely cut out and isn't working anymore. at all. we changed cables and cabs and guitars, and the problem had to be the amp.

i've looked at it. all the tubes are working and everything is hooked up perfectly, ohm's correct, etc...

i'm getting no sound whatsoever. any ideas what it might be?

Did you check your fuses?

tslfuses.jpg

I'll bet your HT fuse is blown.

• Members

I am not familiar with that amp, but does it have output trannie protection built in..? just in case someone turned it on without a load while you were away....? could be many things.. did ya open it up for a good look.?

• Members

i know the tubes work because the amp turned on fine and powered up all the tubes. they were all glowing normally.

i just checked the fuses, they're fine.

output trannie...nobody touches my amp but me, and there are no switches to be switched.

the one ohm resistors? what exactly are these and how would it affect me if they're shot?

• Members

i know the tubes work because the amp turned on fine and powered up all the tubes. they were all glowing normally.

i just checked the fuses, they're fine.

output trannie...nobody touches my amp but me, and there are no switches to be switched.

the one ohm resistors? what exactly are these and how would it affect me if they're shot?

did you test the fuses?

• Members

The 1ohm resistors are between the cathodes and ground so the bias can be read on the back of the amp.The resistors are on the pc board that the power tube sockets are mounted to. The resistors when they blow will makeit so that the cathodes are no longer grounded. Now seeing as you asked the question as to what the 1 ohm resistors are for I suggest you take the amp to a qualified tech for service.There are voltages in there that can kill.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

did you test the fuses?

if by test you mean i looked at them and they were still intact, then yes. however, i haven't any other way to actually test to make sure they're fine.

basically, what happened last night, was my guitar would start to cut in and out, as if the cable was {censored}ed. if would destroy my tone and eventually i gave up playing it. i checked all the cables and switched cabs, etc to no avail. i came back to it today and it worked for about 2 minutes, cutting in and out. then, silence. no noise whatsoever.

could i just have a {censored}ty input jack on the TSL? i wouldn't think that would be the case since this happened so quickly and normally jacks deteriorate over time.

i'm seriously going to destroy something living right now.

• Members

as for the one ohm resistors, i'm definitely not going to screw with those myself, i know my amp could kill me [literally and metaphorically].

i normally use a Holland 8-ohm 2x12. sometimes, a home-made 4-ohm 4x12 cab. i make sure to always switch the ohm adjuster everytime i change cabs.

enfilade is, besides one armed scissor, ATDI's best song. in the vinyl version i have, i swear to god there are sounds in the beginning of that song that aren't on the cd. when the phone is ringing, there are background noises that are oh so quiet...it's pretty amazing.

• Members

as for the one ohm resistors, i'm definitely not going to screw with those myself, i know my amp could kill me [literally and metaphorically].

i normally use a Holland 8-ohm 2x12. sometimes, a home-made 4-ohm 4x12 cab. i make sure to always switch the ohm adjuster everytime i change cabs.

enfilade is, besides one armed scissor, ATDI's best song. in the vinyl version i have, i swear to god there are sounds in the beginning of that song that aren't on the cd. when the phone is ringing, there are background noises that are oh so quiet...it's pretty amazing.

That whole cd is amazing. I love the song Farenheit off of This Station Is Non-Operational.

• Members

if by test you mean i looked at them and they were still intact, then yes. however, i haven't any other way to actually test to make sure they're fine.

You can't determine if the fuses are good by looking at them. You have to test them for continuity.

• Members

Originally posted by bds9487

You can't determine if the fuses are good by looking at them. You have to test them for continuity.

yeah, I had sort of the same problem and went to radio shack and got a multimeter for 30 bucks, went home and found out that all my fuses were ok. Now, I've eliminated that as a problem.

Archived