Safe impedance mismatch?

Cackalacky

• Members

So I accidentally hooked up my Mesa combo with the 8 ohm combo speaker in the 8 ohm output, and a 8 ohm ext. speaker into a 4 ohm output. It sounded smoother and more pleasant to me than the "correct match", with both speakers each running into a respective 4 ohm output. Am I still okay?

• Members

I know my thread marketing strategy for this forum is not en vouge, the title should have been "next door Nikki's thumbs", or be like MYK and say "hello", or like loghead's diareah, then I'd have 50 responses. Anyone actually interested in helping out a forumite with a real AMP question? :mad::)

• Members

I have a Mark IV with one 8 and 2 4 ohm jacks.

I've been told I can run 2 8 ohm loads in the 4 ohm jacks.

I've never done it, but I've been told I can.

Normally I run my cab that's 8 ohms alone, or the internal speaker alone.

I'm sure there's someone here that knows more about it.

But I always thought that you couldn't underload an amp, that is, you couldn't hook a 2 ohm load to a 4 ohm jack or a 4 to an 8ohm etc.

• Members

Thanks for the reply Flyboy, actually, running my 2 8 ohm speakers into 2 4 ohm jacks is what I normally do, but the tone is noticibly warmer, thicker, and smoother with one speaker in the 8 ohm jack, and one in the 4 ohm jack.

I just got off the phone with Mesa(great customer service BTW, left a message thinking it would take forever to get a reply, dude called back in 15 min!), he told me that I can't keep the speakers like that, I'd burn through tubes considerably faster, and may damage the tranny. :( Too bad, it really did sound better to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Cackalacky

Thanks for the reply Flyboy, actually, running my 2 8 ohm speakers into 2 4 ohm jacks is what I normally do, but the tone is noticibly warmer, thicker, and smoother with one speaker in the 8 ohm jack, and one in the 4 ohm jack.

I just got off the phone with Mesa(great customer service BTW, left a message thinking it would take forever to get a reply, dude called back in 15 min!), he told me that I can't keep the speakers like that, I'd burn through tubes considerably faster, and may damage the tranny.
:(
Too bad, it really did sound better to me.

Check out Ted Webers FAQ on the topic, third to last question.

http://www.webervst.com/sptalk.html

Archived