seeking advice/opinions: guitar solos in (metal) band context...

cobrahead1030

• Members

ok, so here lately i've been wanting work some solos/lead work into my band's material again...it was something we did early on, but really drifted away from it for two reasons

1) our music was going in a direction where it just didn't fit (which was hard for me to admit to myself :p )

2) i just didn't feel confident in my playing, and didn't feel like it really added to the music; just kinda pushed the song sideways for 30 seconds

our newer material is kinda going in a different path, i've got a lot of folks encouraging me to work some soloing back into our stuff (when it fits...not necissarily ia 2 minute wankfest in each song) i'm working a lot on coming up with more interesting backing pieces to fit leads over, and composition-wise i think it fits well with some of our newer stuff

but i still don't feel like i could add to the tunes, what i good lead player could/shold add to a piece...i've always kinda took pride and being pretty good at what i do, and kinda feel like this is a weakness in my playing

so i'm asking you guys...from a music listener and/or show watcher's point of view; would you rather see a mediocre guitarist doing lead stuff who's trying to improve himself, and pushing to become really good at it...or someone who just sticks to playing cool riffs, because that's what they're good at?

• Members

Leads are fine but always play within your technical skill set. Even the slowest leads can be killer, you just need to work them out ahead of time. I would rather hear a slower easier lead with good phrasing and in time than someone struggling to solo beyond their means in the contect of the music.

• Members

Originally posted by nickname009

Hetfield's solos are technically mediocre but still kick ass!

So yours would kick just as much ass!

You know what...Hetfield's solos DO kick ass. Obviously he is a fantastic riff oriented player, but some of his technically "elementary" solos are well placed, emotive and interesting...always seem to add to the song. Just my opinion.

• Members

I love solos if they SAY SOMETHING and enhance the song. I hate technical wankfests, no matter how well-done. Case in point: the 1st Alter Bridge single. Tremonti wanted to show the product of his new lessons with the result of a very fast and decently-executed solo that said "nada" to me. If he had hit few less notes and incorporated some bends, heck even if he had only followed the melody line, it would have spoken more to me musically. All of the above is my opinion of course.

• Members

thanks for the responses guys

i like to play stuff that's fairly technical, but not really over do it (i.e. i like to stay around the rhoads difficulty level, rather than try to do some yngwie kinda stuff) personally i feel more confident with the somewhat technical stuff i come up with, altho i tend to overdo it sometimes and can't pull it off as well as i'd like to...when i try to do slower melodic stuff, it just comes off as cheesy

Archived