Adrian Vandenberg

MalcolmTex

• Members

Originally posted by moronmountain

Yup. He did the Whitesnake tour. The album with "Still of the Night" etc. on it. Him and wutshisface from DIO. Was quite the pair of guitar players in that band.

He did the tour after the album when 'Still of the Night' was released, but Vandenberg didn't play on that CD. He played on the next Whitesnake CD (Slip of the Tongue) along with Steve Vai. The guitar player on the self titled 'Whitesnake' CD was John Sykes. Coverdale fired him after the CD was done, but he was the best player Coverdale had as far as writing in Whitesnake was concerned. Vandenberg is a great player though - just not the writer Sykes was.

• Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

He did the tour after the album when 'Still of the Night' was released, but Vandenberg didn't play on that CD. He played on the next Whitesnake CD (Slip of the Tongue) along with Steve Vai. The guitar player on the self titled 'Whitesnake' CD was John Sykes. Coverdale fired him after the CD was done, but he was the best player Coverdale had as far as writing in Whitesnake was concerned. Vandenberg is a great player though - just not the writer Sykes was.

Yeah, that's why I said he did the tour. I know Sykes did at least most of the recording if not all of it.

• Members

Originally posted by moronmountain

Yeah, that's why I said he did the tour. I know Sykes did at least most of the recording if not all of it.

I think they overdubbed one Vandenberg solo on one of the radio singles, but I don't remember which one....

• Members

on the entire 1987 album it is Sykes. The rhythm work on "Here i go again" is played by Sykes, but he was fired before he had time to lay down a solo for that particular song...

on the album the solo is played by Vandenberg

he was on the 1987 tour with Whitesnake pairing up with Viv Campbell on guitar..

he actually didnt play at all on the Slip of the tongue album.. if you read inside the booklet, it actually says that Adrian was having trouble with his hands and couldnt perform on the cd (..that would later lead to Tendonitus i believe). It was all Vai on that cd though

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Isn't he the guy the Peavey V-Type guitars were originally made for?

Yes & No. Peavey used to make his signature model called the "Vandenberg" (go figure). I have one at home, there were only a small amount made. 24 fret, neck thru, double locking tremelo, Kahler bridge. A nice guitar but I never really play it. After those went out of production they made the V Type after that & those are still in production as far as I know.

• Members

Originally posted by mentoneman

his solo stuff was cool enough but the lead he did in "here i go again" was

g h e i

compared to sykes

There are 3 versions of that solo done by ; Sykes,Vandenberg and Dann Huff of Giant and Nashville studio fame.

• Members

Originally posted by xbrianx

Yes & No. Peavey used to make his signature model called the "Vandenberg" (go figure). I have one at home, there were only a small amount made. 24 fret, neck thru, double locking tremelo, Kahler bridge. A nice guitar but I never really play it. After those went out of production they made the V Type after that & those are still in production as far as I know.

The one I played had a bolt on neck. The local guitar place loaned it to me for a gig 'cuz they didn't get done fixing my guitar in time.

• Members

Originally posted by Whitesnake666

on the entire 1987 album it is Sykes. The rhythm work on "Here i go again" is played by Sykes, but he was fired before he had time to lay down a solo for that particular song...

on the album the solo is played by Vandenberg

Dan

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember two versions of that song. That is, the same song, but two different solos. I remember Viv or Vandenburg kinda questioning Sykes's note choice on the solo he did.

• Members

Originally posted by MisterBulbous

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember two versions of that song. That is, the same song, but two different solos. I remember Viv or Vandenburg kinda questioning Sykes's note choice on the solo he did.

Well on the album its definitly Adrian Vandenberg, because i read in an interview with Sykes that he was fired when he had 5solos to finish...

he finished 4 of them pretty fast and by the time he came to finish here i go again, he didnt have time...

so Coverdale hired Adrian as the new guitarist and asked him to record that solo.

years later... Dann huff also completely re-recorded the solo too!

Dan

• Members

The cd sleeve credits Vandenberg with playing the solo to 'Here I Go Again'. The cd version is clearly him.

He's an outstanding player with a tremendous claissical influence, but he sounds nothing like Yngwie.

I saw Whitesnake on that 1987 tour opening for Motley Crue and a few months later as headliners. Vandenberg and Campbell performed one of the coolest unaccompanied guitar solos I've seen.

• Members

Adrian played the solo on "Here I Go Again" from the album version. Which was the "main" version that was the hit / video. There was a remix, extremely friendly so called radio version with Dan Huff on guitar but it's pretty bad...nothing to do with Dan it's just that version is wimpy plus i never heard it on the radio. I've got it on a CD with additional album tracks from the 87' album that were not on the US release. And of course the original version on one of the first WS albums.

Actually the version with Adrian pretty much sums up his style as a soloist...very smooth, very melodic with a hint of classical thrown in...one of my favorite guitarists and one of my favorite solos.

As for the Slip of the Tongue album...Adrian wrote the music, Vai played on it. Adrian supposedly had a hand injury that prevented him from playing on the album...probably more like an ego problem with Vai but that's never been proven. Regardless I've heard rumors for years that original tracks do exist with Adrian. That came from an old interview with Adrian btw.

The Peavey V-Type is the guitar that Adrian designed...hence the V-type designation. The new V-Type is essentially the same as the old Vandenberg models looks wise minus the headstock...the older headstock was a reverse pointy style but it had a weird 3d effect going on with the tip...pretty ugly. Before they quit producing them, Peavey was making some really nice versions with maple tops and then it all pretty much ended. This was really the first thing that Peavey did that made people sit up and take notice and was in production for nearly 4 years...the only rare ones are the puzzle guitar and the ones with the set necks and maple tops.

• Members

track down Adrians solo release's. The Vandenberg albums were "Vandenberg", "Heading for a Storm" and "Alibi". Some the songs are really good, some are pretty cheesy but the solo's alone are worth owning the CD's. Incredible guitar player with as much taste on how to apply a solo to song as any guitar player I've ever heard...easily ranks right alongside Gary Moore, EVH, Rhoads and Vito Bratta when it comes to composing a solo...imo.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

What a great player the first 2 vandenberg albums were good there were some cheezy songs. I was so disappointed when he could't play on the slip of the tongue album due to injury. I remember well Adrian said that he had been doing some exercises he found in a book for keyboard players, since he plays keyboards as well he over did the exercises and I believe strained tendons and ligaments in both of his wrists which took several months too heal. So Coverdale hired Steve Vai. Anybody know where Adrian is now?:)

Archived